Cyclist killed - Suspected cause of hitting a pot-hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Why does every cycling related death in the press have to be posted up on this forum? Is it just me, or does anyone else find it both a little odd and a bit morbid. On car based forums do people post up about every car accident in the press?
I normally avoid them like the plague, the pothole got me to look at this one and I always regret taking a look

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
I didn't intend to upset anyone or cause distress. It wasn't the sad outcome that "possessed" me to start the thread. It was the potential cause of the accident that caught my attention, given the current state of the roads. I pass many pot-holes and don't pay them much attention other than a sigh and a tut. But this brought it home to me. Let's be careful out there.

Linford

Why does every cycling related death in the press have to be posted up on this forum? Is it just me, or does anyone else find it both a little odd and a bit morbid. On car based forums do people post up about every car accident in the press?

A biker website I moderate on has effectively banned this sort of thing unless they were either close friends of the members or members themselves...we have lost 5 members to crashes in the last 10 years. Our members remember their mates in their sig lines, and we also have annual rideouts in their memory.

Yes it is morbid. We already know that 2 wheelers of all sorts are a lot more vulnerable per km travelled than drivers.
It is just done for the titillation of the readers.

Caveat....if it is one of Gixxermans regular roads, I can certainly understand why it is pertinent to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-21511237

Scarily close to home for me. I often ride this road. This could have been me. RIP :sad: .

I see they very quickly fixed the pot-hole (sadly it seems to have been too late for this poor chap). There is no definite conclusion yet, but if the pot-hole does turn out to be the cause, then maybe now the local councils will start to fix some of the pot holes in our roads. Just a shame that it has to take something like this to spur them into action.

It's unclear what happened. A tragedy, whatever caused it. He's been named, was riding with a group:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-21524682

400bhp

Guru
Actually thinking about it, a car forum I frequented of a specific model would have posted up an accident that involved that type of car.
I remember a rather sobering story - a chap posted up about an incident he had in a car (can't remember the specific incident but it involved driving fast). He had borrowed his dad's car. Pretty much everyone told him to take care/slow down/go on driving courses etc. He didn't post for a while. Turns out he'd had a massive accident and IIRC kiiled himself and his girlfriend.

It's a forum for cyclists, the deaths of cyclists are rare, thankfully, so threads about incidents like this can provide stuff we can all learn from, and people can dignify the tragedy by offering condolences.

Coming onto a cycling forum to have a go at people for marking tragedies like Mr Brown's death is very odd behaviour.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Agree, I'm sick of reading about cyclists being killed, stopped buying cycling weekly and a few other mags for the very same reason. It would be easy to just ignore the post altogether but that's just the problem, seeing a post with cyclist death in the title draws you in for some weird reason?

It is a public forum and people will always post something you don't want to read, just don't open it.

Re pot holes, if we don't report them to the highways agencies they may not know about them to repair. I always report them and I'm thanked for letting them know. Who knows I might be saving someone/you from a fall.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
It is a public forum and people will always post something you don't want to read, just don't open it.

Re pot holes, if we don't report them to the highways agencies they may not know about them to repair. I always report them and I'm thanked for letting them know. Who knows I might be saving someone/you from a fall.
I agree, we should always report pot holes and yes your right, I could just ignore posts relating to cycling accidents.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I can understand the various reasons for posting and discussing topics like this. The only problem I personally find is that reading about cyclists deaths and serious injuries on the roads is making me more nervous on the roads than I used to be. :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Agree, I'm sick of reading about cyclists being killed, stopped buying cycling weekly and a few other mags for the very same reason. It would be easy to just ignore the post altogether but that's just the problem, seeing a post with cyclist death in the title draws you in for some weird reason?

Well how inconvenient for you to have your day ruined. So what makes you sick, the fact that cyclists are needlessly dying or you would prefer not to read about it as it spoils your day?

My Nan used to say "If you don't have anything constructive to say then keep quiet". Maybe you should try this?

albion

Guru
Something I noticed a few years ago was that with group riding pothole risks really do increase massively.

Signalling and even shouting when you avoid them with a group is extremely important.

Top Bottom