Cyclist killed - Suspected cause of hitting a pot-hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
I went passed the place where the incident happened today. It seems quite amazing that such an innocuous hole (now filled) could have caused such a tragedy.
It seems that a lot of the pot-holes round the area have now been rather hastily repaired. A cynical view might see this as a deliberate attempt by the local council to save face or possibly exonerate themselves of blame.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I went passed the place where the incident happened today. It seems quite amazing that such an innocuous hole (now filled) could have caused such a tragedy.
It seems that a lot of the pot-holes round the area have now been rather hastily repaired. A cynical view might see this as a deliberate attempt by the local council to save face or possibly exonerate themselves of blame.

Or to save them from any future claims from other cyclists coming off. Like this chap

bigjim

Legendary Member
If the original post makes you more aware on the road it is possibly a good thing. The comment that his bike disintegrated, makes me a bit more aware about riding carbon and one has to wonder if the collapse of the bike contributed to his injuries.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If the original post makes you more aware on the road it is possibly a good thing. The comment that his bike disintegrated, makes me a bit more aware about riding carbon and one has to wonder if the collapse of the bike contributed to his injuries.

A lot of us - happily - can afford a £1K+ bike, but I've wondered for years if the ultra-light carbon racers are suitable for road use.

Surely, like F1 cars, they are designed to run on billiard table-smooth asphalt.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Where did you see the comment, I can't find it?

bigjim

Legendary Member
Where did you see the comment, I can't find it?
Without going back to do a search. My recollection was that it was in the Daily Mail. I think it was one of his fellow riders that commented that the hole was that deep that his bike disintegrated. he didn't say it was carbon but I don't know of another frame material that would do that.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Found it. Got it a bit wrong. Doohh
'The road the group were riding along is 40mph, but someone told me they were only doing about 17mph at the time of Chris' fall.'
'I heard that one of the group shouted 'Pothole!' but Chris saw it too late and went straight into it.
'Chris was riding a very light carbon fibre bike, so you can imagine the force of the pothole to be so powerful that the bike would just disintegrate and Chris would be propelled off of it.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Thanks Jim, compounds my fear and experience of CF. I wish I hadn't read the comments section tho, made me feel sad.

Top Bottom