Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Ok, so if i throw myself in front of your car with no warning, giving you no time to react, causing you to smash my body to peices.........you would be in the wrong and deserve a manslaughter charge???

Interesting views on recklessness and intent you have there animal.

its simple...you have no idea what caused this accident,

you THINK it might be excees speed by the car, or inexperience of the driver, or reclessness of thedriver, or carelessness of the driver........... but really, at this stage YOU HAVENT GOT A CLUE.

ever wondered how lynch mobs get started?

Andy

skwerl

ScaredCyclist said:
Why do cyclist lanes increase the danger?

Im scared because i keep hearing of more cyclist getting knocked off their bikes by motorists.
I know that i should just keep at it, which is why i hope to get out there after work 2nite and not be such a wimp! ;)

This is really irrational. It's equivalent to these people who now fear the abduction of their child after what happened to 'poor Maddy'.
You've heard of three cyclists being involved in accidents recently and have decided cycling isn't safe any more. How many cyclists are there on the roads every day that aren't involved in accidents?
Ignore the idiot tabloids and think carefully about how dangerous cycling really is. Safer than walking for one.
This country's is being ruled/ruined by the media

domtyler

Über Member
andyfromotley said:
Ok, so if i throw myself in front of your car with no warning, giving you no time to react, causing you to smash my body to peices.........you would be in the wrong and deserve a manslaughter charge???

you THINK it might be excees speed by the car, or inexperience of the driver, or reclessness of thedriver, or carelessness of the driver........... but really, at this stage YOU HAVENT GOT A CLUE.

Andy

Come on, this is an internet forum for people with nothing else to do than chat on cycling boards all day!

If I were William Hill I would give you approximately 33/1 on the cyclist being solely to blame for this incident and 9/5 on the car driver. Care to place your bets? ;)

Jaded

"Cars do undoubtedly go over the speed limit on that section of road."

"Some cars do undoubtedly go over the speed limit on that section of road."

Completely interchangeable.

No need for the some. Don't see what you are trying to get at anyfromotley.

andyfromotley

Jaded - no i think a 'some' would have added clarity to that statement.

Dom - are you kidding. I'd rip your hands off at those odds on the probability that the driver was responsible. But thats a different matter. Probability and fact arent the same things.

Again i want to say that none of this means that the whole thing is any less tragic for the cyclist, just think we should wait and see as to what happened, as dom has said odds are it will turn out to be driver error, but i hate it when people are pre judged and before we know it were calling people little bitches and demanding they be charged with manslaughter.... it just doesnt seem fair to me.

andy

Animal

andyfromotley said:

Andy

OH.

My.

GOD.

Typical petrolhead strawman argument.

People do not "throw themselves under cars".

You rant about clues, but have no facts in your head at all.

Have you read any statistics about contributory factors to "crashes"?

4 out of 6 of the main causes are down to the driver.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme5/contributoryfactorstoroadacc.pdf

You are a troll. You post meaningless soundbites. You are a petrolhead. and you hate cyclists.

Do NOT talk to me about "lynchmobs". It is cyclists who are the vulnerable "out group", who are the target for a general consensus which says it is OK to attack and hurt us. The messages from the media, the courts, and the establishment is that cyclists are pests, ridiculous, tree-huggers, lycra nazis etc etc etc etc ad nauseam. Yuo think this has no effect at all?

THAT is how "lynch mobs" get started.

What I am talking about is the psychology of driving. The changes that happen to people when they are in sole charge of an absolutely awesome amount of power, and fantastic amounts of protection.

Motor traffic is the mob, we are the victims. You know nothing about research into group behaviour and attitudes to out groups do you? Or how persecution of out groups develops within ordinary people do you?

How do you thing Pol Pot got people do do his work? Or Hitler or Stalin? If you think "oh, but they were monsters", you are making the mistake that you (wrongly) accused me of. We all have the potential to be monsters. It's latent in all of us, it can be brought out by certain situations. How do you think the pogroms against Jews got started. And if you research in history, they were more common that you'd like to consider. Jews were slaughtered in the UK and Europe in the middle ages. Catholics were slaughtered by mobs in Europe. Human psychology can be ugly.

Read some of Philip Zimbardo. He's a physchologist at Stanford University in California.

http://zimbardo.com/zimbardo.html

The mildest mannered people can show a monstrous side.

Steady on Animal. Read AfO's posts a bit more carefully and you'll see he's not trying to blame the cyclists for this, merely saying that we're all using slightly strong language for a load of people on an internet forum who have no idea of the facts of this case. Like Andy, I'll lay odds that the car driver was responsible, but until I know what happened, I'll keep my mouth shut.

yello

Animal, calm down.

I don't think andyfromotley is a troll at all. He is not making judgements on all cyclists, all drivers or all accidents. He is just asking, as I read him, why the assumptions and conclusions are being made in this particular case from the information as presented. And, from what I have read, I have to say I agree.

Others here might have more information, or heard or been told more detail, but what has been linked to from this thread does not provide the basis for some of the statements made... in my humble opinion if course.

spindrift

What a very silly and unpleasant argument. Animal's right, this is a scenario beloved of pro-speeding lobby groups, they make the utterly disgusting claim that children killed on the roads may very well have been suicidal. We've seen it here before.

spindrift

So for all i know it could have been a drunk blindfolded cyclist riding the wrongway down this road collided with a car and died.

Sleazebag. Whines about victimising drivers and "lynch mobs" and then posts this crap. Hypocrite.

Top Bottom