Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it's true enough. I nearly flattened a cyclist with no lights one January evening on the A5. Sometimes cyclists do stupid things. Both me and AndyfromOtley are saying that the probability is that this is the motorist's fault, but the only fact we know is that we don't know enough facts to make such a judgement. There's nothing pro speeding or anti cyclist about that.

spindrift

So for all i know it could have been a drunk blindfolded cyclist riding the wrongway down this road collided with a car and died.

The driver was arrested, no blame has been imparted to the cyclist, Andy has barged into a thread about a person killed and made snide insinuations that they were drunk. Like I said, beneath contempt.

yello

spindrift said:
Andy has barged into a thread about a person killed and made snide insinuations that they were drunk.

No he has not! Nothing of the sort. You're twisting his words again.

But I am pleased that you edited your first reply. It wasn't helpful.

spindrift

I've edited nothing. Andy barged in to a thread about a dead cyclist and started throwing hysterical allegations around.

domtyler

Über Member
Animal said:
OH.

My.

GOD.

<snip>

The mildest mannered people can show a monstrous side.

Steady on there Animal, there is nothing to be gained by becoming hysterical.

yello

spindrift said:
I've edited nothing.

You did. Your original response ended "hypocrite" as I recall. Anyway, I'm pleased to see you thought better of it.

I support the calls being made for the suspension of accusations. There are insufficient facts presented here to come to the conclusions of manslaughter. What we do have, beyond the press reports, is the post of a forumer (not that I doubt it in any way) about the location of the accident; it being a 30mph, cycle lane, etc.

Personally, I find it all a little confusing as to what exactly happened so I think it impossible to form an opinion.

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:
So for all i know it could have been a drunk blindfolded cyclist riding the wrongway down this road collided with a car and died.

The driver was arrested, no blame has been imparted to the cyclist, Andy has barged into a thread about a person killed and made snide insinuations that they were drunk. Like I said, beneath contempt.

I say old boy, you're coming on a bit strong aren't you? ;)

Animal said:
OH.

My.

GOD.

Typical petrolhead strawman argument.

People do not "throw themselves under cars".

Have a look at this Animal.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnsw3bIzu0

This little girl almost stepped right under my wheels. I had no time to react. She stepped out from behind a people carrier so I did not see her until the last minute. Would you agree that had she been walking a little faster and not stopped that there would have been nothing that I could do, i.e. she 'threw herself under my bike?'

spindrift

This little girl almost stepped right under my wheels.

No, she doesn't, you stopped in time and you're on a bike, not driving.

What we know of the facts in this case are wildly at variance with andy's guesses and allegations.

yello

spindrift said:
Still does

Oh that's a shame! You've now gone and destroyed the illusion I had that you were capable of reflection and self-moderation.

No, she doesn't, you stopped in time and you're on a bike, not driving.

Are you being serious with that argument? If the girl stepped out then she stepped out - the type of vehicle does not change that. Fortunately for her, it was a bike.

What we know of the facts in this case are wildly at variance with andy's guesses and allegations.

Andy has made no allegations - that is your interpretation. More to the point, what we know does not support (yet) a conclusion of manslaughter.

spindrift

the type of vehicle does not change that.

Sigh.

Cars make a noise, bikes don't make much noise at all, I believe had the girl heard a car coming circumspection would have come into play.

Andy's a hypocrite cos he whines and snivels about us being unfair to the driver without knowing the facts then suggests the cyclist was drunk. Rank hypocrisy.

I dunno who mentioned manslaughter, wasn't me.

yello

spindrift said:
I believe had the girl heard a car coming circumspection would have come into play.

You don't know that though. There are any number of possible factors that could prevent it.

then suggests the cyclist was drunk. Rank hypocrisy.

In my opinion, no such suggestion was made and therefore there is no hypocrisy.

I dunno who mentioned manslaughter, wasn't me.

So you agree that conclusions shouldn't be being made either way then?

spindrift

I know that cars are noisier than bikes, I know there's no evidence the cyclist was at fault, I agree calls for manslaughter charges are premature. Let's wait and see.

Top Bottom