Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Well this is in today's paper:

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/29/landlords-road-plea-after-cyclist-tragedy/

Police describe it as a "motoring offence". :smile::rolleyes:!:rolleyes:

Animal said:
It's totally outrageous how anyone can be killed at such a location. The only way is through total recklessness and utter disregard for other people. a 30 limit, a bike lane, a wide carriageway, an almost straight road.

The charge should be manslaughter and the driver should go to prison.

I'd put money on a fine and points, and the judge saying "nothing can make up for the loss of a loved one, so let's all just forget about it eh? Don't want to upset the motor lobby do we? Oh no, more than our job's worth"

spindrift

**** me.

domtyler

Über Member
Looks like the little bitch will be getting a £30 fine and three points then! :biggrin:

Wouldn't surprise me if she subsequently launches a legal case against the guys family for compensation for the damage done to her Fiesta when he selfishly collided with her bonnet with his head. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

ScaredCyclist

Tragic, just tragic.
The poor man and his poor family. ;)
My other half works with the victims dad, its just SO SO sad.
Hes lost his 1st born son, how could you ever get over it?

Just proves that inexperienced drivers really are a problem.

This is the 3rd cyclist accident i have heard about recently, another is a man that is still in a coma 2 weeks on.
He was crossing the road on a crossing when a car ploughed into him.

The other was a girl in my Triathlon club, luckily she only suffered bruises and 2 weeks off training.
But it was a car that just pulled out without looking.

I am scared now of doing something i enjoy, my lovely bike sits lonely in the garage as i am too scared to go out.

The last time i went out i was on a main A road (A511 Ashby Road to Ashby). I was making my way to quieter A roads where i feel less nervous, but i have to use this main road first.
I had a 40FT Artic lorry up my bum for a few minutes, i could feel his heat from the engine!!
I was peddling my little legs as fast as i could to try and get away from him!!
When he eventually over took me, he was that close to me the hairs on my right arm tingled!!

I signalled to him as if to say, move over!!
Dont think he saw that, but i was petrified.
Why oh why cant we have cycle lanes?
I wish i could go on the pavement!!! Boo Hoo.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cycle lanes aren't going to help you, since they will reduce the fear, but increase the actual danger to you. And why would you be afraid of doing something that's actually quite a safe activity, comparable to walking?

ScaredCyclist

Why do cyclist lanes increase the danger?

Im scared because i keep hearing of more cyclist getting knocked off their bikes by motorists.
I know that i should just keep at it, which is why i hope to get out there after work 2nite and not be such a wimp! ;)

yello

domtyler said:
Looks like the little bitch will be getting a £30 fine and three points then!

Well there's nothing to indicate exactly what she's being charged with so let's wait and see shall we... and hope that you're wrong.

domtyler

Über Member
yello said:
Well there's nothing to indicate exactly what she's being charged with so let's wait and see shall we... and hope that you're wrong.

I hope I am wrong too, but as the police have already said she is being charged with a "motoring related offence" it does not look like a good day for the safety of vulnerable road users.

andyfromotley

Does anyone actually know what caused the accident?

So for all i know it could have been a drunk blindfolded cyclist riding the wrongway down this road collided with a car and died.

Why are people shouting about manslaughter charges?

Cheers andy

domtyler

Über Member
andyfromotley said:

So for all i know it could have been a drunk blindfolded cyclist riding the wrongway down this road collided with a car and died.

Cheers andy

It seems highly unlikely that this is the case as the cyclists body had to collected from multiple places after the collision that took place in a 30mph area. I have never heard of a person having his body ripped apart like this by a small vehicle travelling at or below 30mph.

yello

The cyclist was killed when he was catapulted down a 30ft embankment after colliding with a car on Queensville Bridge late on Tuesday night.

Someone heard the bang and shouted to ring for an ambulance. Drivers coming over the bridge were doing 45 or 50mph and had to slam-on.

A bit confusing? A 30mph area but cars doing 45-50?? The cyclist was thrown over the bridge and down the embankment to where? Does the bridge cross another road? Perhaps a more major road?

Edit: just seen it was a bridge over a railway line.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Whilst none of us know the precise circumstances, it is extremely difficult to believe that the motorist was driving at or below the speed limit. At 30 mph, I do not believe for one second that you could catapult someone off their bicycle such a distance, before then mounting the footway and extensively damaging a crash barrier.

andyfromotley said:

Cheers andy

andyfromotley

domd1979 said:
Cars do undoubtedly go over the speed limit on that section of road.

You missed the word SOME off the beginning of that sentence.

So unless you can correct me none of you can tell me that this driver did anything wrong. Based on little or no expertise in accident investigation you have decided that the driver should be charged with manslaughter.

Hmmmmmm sorry but you're not making a great deal of sense to me.... what exactly are you saying that the driver did wrong???

i would suggest that we simply dont know yet. Let the police do their job and put the braying mob back in the box. None of this makes it any less tragic that somebody died.

andy

Top Bottom