Cyclist Killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tragic news ;) RIP

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
MERV said:
A motorist at work calls me "bonnet fodder".Very nice the fat git.

Whereas he's far more likely to be a heart attack victim than you are, and far more likely to die from one than you are from a traffic collision. Cyclists tend to live 2 years longer than the average citizen.

Jaded

BentMikey said:
Whereas he's far more likely to be a heart attack victim than you are, and far more likely to die from one than you are from a traffic collision. Cyclists tend to live 2 years longer than the average citizen.

That bloke doesn't sound like a 'citizen'.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Not quite the right location - it was here, in the northbound direction:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...52.79765,-2.101264&spn=0.012014,0.028839&z=15

Its a 30mph limit, there is a reasonable width mandatory cycle lane, the road climbs up to bridge the railway, then back down. I cycle along here most days.

Whilst speculating is probably inappropriate - its difficult to ignore the damage done to a very substantial crash barrier which gives an idea of how horrendous an impact it must have been. The cyclist's body was thrown a considerable distance was recovered from more than one place.

The whole thing is immensely tragic, and very difficult to think anything other than it could have been avoided.

Animal said:
F-ucking hell!

It's a town centre. The speed limit would have been 30. That should be a manslaughter charge.

Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/4etrjr

MERV

BentMikey said:

Depends if he drives his car into me.:ohmy:

Actually he is quite badly overweight but he doesn't care.*

* Or perhaps he cant help himself.

MERV

BentMikey said:
I dare you to make some sort of cheeky heart attack comment to him next time he comes up with the bonnet fodder though!

I didn't like it when he first started saying it...just in case that sort of thing did happen.

Dont think i'd say such a personal thing about his weight though.Well only on the message board.:smile:

Quite a nice bloke really so it's sad to see him that way.

The old joke is he buys about 12 donuts and 6 cans of diet coke.Bit late for that.:ohmy:

Mr Pig

domtyler said:
Don't forget it is the lack of experience that is the real danger so you always have to have inexperienced drivers on the roads, otherwise they would never get any.

I agree, but more can still be done. I passed my IAM advanced driving test about ten years ago and at the time I was told that there were two things that significantly reduced the chances of a driver being in an accident. One was doing advanced training, like the IAM or RSPA tests, and the other was years of experience. You can't speed up the ageing process but you can train people better.

The IAM test covers motorway driving, hazard/risk assessment and lots of other important aspects of driving that are either not covered at all in the standard test or are not covered in anything like as much depth. If we trained drivers to a higher standard they'd crash less. It's not complicated.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Mr Pig said:
I agree, but more can still be done. I passed my IAM advanced driving test about ten years ago and at the time I was told that there were two things that significantly reduced the chances of a driver being in an accident. One was doing advanced training, like the IAM or RSPA tests, and the other was years of experience. You can't speed up the ageing process but you can train people better.

The IAM test covers motorway driving, hazard/risk assessment and lots of other important aspects of driving that are either not covered at all in the standard test or are not covered in anything like as much depth. If we trained drivers to a higher standard they'd crash less. It's not complicated.

Agreed driving standards in this country are far too low, there should a far higher stander of driver training and testing. Ideally statutory retest for all drivers every 5 years in order to keep their licence. Most drivers think that once they have passed their test they can forget about the HC and all that stuff. They don't seem to understand they were made to learn it for a reason.

Animal

It's totally outrageous how anyone can be killed at such a location. The only way is through total recklessness and utter disregard for other people. a 30 limit, a bike lane, a wide carriageway, an almost straight road.

The charge should be manslaughter and the driver should go to prison.

I'd put money on a fine and points, and the judge saying "nothing can make up for the loss of a loved one, so let's all just forget about it eh? Don't want to upset the motor lobby do we? Oh no, more than our job's worth"

Top Bottom