Cyclist overtaking Cyclist on Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JackoLondon

Regular
You admit that you didn't look over your shoulder before overtaking, so you don't know if she was already going at a speed and was in a position to overtake all of you in one go. I get a bit miffed if someone suddenly pulls out into my path without looking.
Personally I consider it selfish cycling and will always give riders in front of me the opportunity to overtake first. Just because someone might be faster doesn't give them an automatic right to overtake a group until they assess why we had suddenly bunched up. You should always be constantly looking 50+m ahead of you when cycling and not what's immediately in front of you. Again I accept my blame in this and going forward and will endeavour to always look behind me.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's unsafe practice to overtake a convoy of more than one vehicle for the reasons your encounter graphically illustrates.

It's also unsafe verging on suicidal, to partake in an manoeuvre without shoulder checking the side you intend to move to.

You were both unsafe, but no body died so there's a good opportunity to learn.

OP
OP
J

JackoLondon

Regular
Agreed that she should have anticipated. However, ultimately I'd probably put the OP slightly more in the wrong. In a similar situation on, say, a motorway in a car, if a vehicle pulled into the next lane without looking, I think any resulting accident would probably be put upon the vehicle moving out, rather than the vehicle not anticipating that move (even if it was obvious they were about to move out because they had their indicator on for example).

Whether that is a good comparison to this situation or not, I'm not entirely sure. Still, nobody came off at the end of the day. That's what counts. Perhaps next time she'll think to hang back a bit in that situation.
I guess the big difference is the fact that you have mirrors on cars - again I accept that I should have looked which I will do going forward. However I think I more apt comparison is something like a tractor pulling out on a country road and a car 3 cars back decides to instantly overtake everyone - I would consider that selfish driving

OP
OP
J

JackoLondon

Regular
And signal your intentions...
TBF it's a bad habit that I'll address but being honest hardly anyone checks over their shoulder in similar circumstances and that is something you have to bear in mind. Also Surely signalling your intentions works both ways - if she wanted to pull off that manoeuvre (and this all happened in seconds btw - skateboarder pulled out and everyone broke and one by one began to overtake,) then she could have used her bell etc...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always useful to have a small mirror somewhere, but you have to remember to use it of course.

OP
OP
J

JackoLondon

Regular
Surely you should overtake when it's safe to do so i.e. when everyone is travelling at their respected speeds and there's space to do so and not use the opportunity when there's a hold up to put your head down and attempt to speed past oblivious to everything and everyone. Anyways hopefully we've both learned something!

alvintc

Veteran
I'm on the should've checked side. My reasoning is simple, if you're changing position it's your responsibility to check it's clear. If it helps I have the same issue with people when I'm walking & they just step around someone (thing) and you end up in the same situation.

OP
OP
J

JackoLondon

Regular
I'm on the should've checked side. My reasoning is simple, if you're changing position it's your responsibility to check it's clear. If it helps I have the same issue with people when I'm walking & they just step around someone (thing) and you end up in the same situation.
So if there's an obstruction directly in front of someone who's ahead of you but walking to your left, you wouldn't anticipate them stepping around it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

My issue is in supermarkets when they are in the middle of the aisle then see something they want & just turn & grab whilst dragging the trolley sideways one handed blocking the aisle

Lonestar

Veteran
Well I had one fly past me at warp speed on Southwark Bridge today...So fast,lucky I didn't wobble one bit....Also I find it's a waste of time overtaking on the CS 3 and the East - West route in the rush hour....I got stuck behind a boris bike...It was too dodgy to overtake until it thinned out a bit near Limehouse..

Remember they are coming from both directions on some bit of narrow cyclepath...Probably not brilliantly safe when it's so busy...

I'd think if you pull out on them without looking it's your fault.It would be stupid to do it in a car and it's not too clever on a bike.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
TBF it's a bad habit that I'll address but being honest hardly anyone checks over their shoulder in similar circumstances and that is something you have to bear in mind. Also Surely signalling your intentions works both ways - if she wanted to pull off that manoeuvre (and this all happened in seconds btw - skateboarder pulled out and everyone broke and one by one began to overtake,) then she could have used her bell etc...

That should be pretty much everyone checks ...... And everyone actually should , its is pretty basic. Also that is for any vehicle anywhere

Top Bottom