Cyclist overtaking Cyclist on Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
The OP hasn't been on since Wed @ 19:56 so I think we answered this wrong.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
For what it's worth, similar happened to me today.
No scate-boarder, a pedestrian I was about to overtake on a shared path.
Simultaneously, another cyclist very :eek: close passed me.
I always shoulder check :angel: collision avoided.
Swore at the other cyclist a wee bit 'cause he gave me a fright, he just laughed.

Lonestar

Veteran
The fast overtake on Southwark Bridge the other day was shocking so now I don't leave a gap.There is very little space for a half witted overtake like that.

There is a pavement on the left and a continuous concrete block on the right.

Obviously that wouldn't work on a cycle lane.Also had to close the gap on my left at Blackfriars every day as I suspected that a cyclist was going to attempt to undertake me.

ozboz

Guru
If a cycle path/ Lane is congested I personally wait to see what the best option is , hold back and observe , yesterday on a narrow section of the 315 at Richmond I just stopped and let the oncomers peds and bikes go , if them behind were a bit annoyed then tough ,

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I consider a cycle path one of the few places left where road rules don't apply, except for one. She should have made her presence known if she was going to pass you as she doesn't know your level of cycling knowledge and/or skill and therefor can't predict what you will or won't do ahead of her.
Leave the racing and other piss poor behaviour for the roads where its expected.

Alan O

Über Member
She should have made her presence known if she was going to pass you as she doesn't know your level of cycling knowledge and/or skill and therefor can't predict what you will or won't do ahead of her.
And how about "You should always check over your shoulder for cyclists coming up behind before pulling out, because you don't know their level of cycling knowledge and/or skill and therefore can't predict what they will or won't do approaching you"?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
And how about "You should always check over your shoulder for cyclists coming up behind before pulling out, because you don't know their level of cycling knowledge and/or skill and therefore can't predict what they will or won't do approaching you"?

Unless a following cyclist expects me to bunny hop those in front of me then they shouldn't attempt overtaking me when I'm already about to do that. Common sense and so on.

Alan O

Über Member
Unless a following cyclist expects me to bunny hop those in front of me then they shouldn't attempt overtaking me when I'm already about to do that. Common sense and so on.
It seems common sense to me for everyone be aware of what's around them before making any maneuver.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I do sort of agree with you there but unlike most folk, a cyclist is constantly looking forward and travelling faster than most folk on a cycle/shared path so it's up to them to make sure they have safe passage to their destination. It's not terribly difficult to ring the bell or call out to those about to be passed.
Like I say, there are few places left where the threat of motorised transport isn't an issue and care free travel can be enjoyed. Looking back in these places to check for some strava segment chasing speed junkie shouldn't be needed.

Lonestar

Veteran

Yes , but you can't assume they are going to use common sense.Especially on the CS'ses or anywhere.

You haven't seen the E - W cycle superhighway crash have you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...ing-head-crash-London-cycle-superhighway.html

Actually this wasn't what I was looking for and it's a Daily Wail link.

Ah yes I know that bit,you've got to be really careful on that bend.Both had lights here,that's unusual.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Was on holiday - & nope already accept my blame. For everyone who's asked info, it was CS3 cycle lane.

OMG...yes the CS 3 is bad.I'd expect all sorts of $hyt£ on there.People are so unaware that I now rarely overtake but just wait . It's safer.It's an awful setup.Too narrow but the victim of it's own success.

We can't all be perfect.I did a bit of bad cycling on Sunday pulling into a side street just as a motorist was pulling out (I had to quick draw on the brakes).I could see he was worried for a sec.I stopped and apologised.He was fine about it.See even I'm not perfect.

Welcome back.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom