Cyclist overtaking Cyclist on Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
I guess the big difference is the fact that you have mirrors on cars - again I accept that I should have looked which I will do going forward. However I think I more apt comparison is something like a tractor pulling out on a country road and a car 3 cars back decides to instantly overtake everyone - I would consider that selfish driving
Fair point. Indeed it could be considered selfish. Again it depends on alot of variables though. As a motorcyclist I will sometimes pass a queue of traffic in that situation, because I know my bike is quick and powerful enough to do it swiftly and safely. Whereas the cars in front, more often than not, don't.
BUT, that said, I would anticipate any of those cars moving out to attempt the same thing, giving them a wide berth, or hanging back if it looks like they're starting to "gas up" to pass the tractor... Which is exactly what the lady in your situation should have done really - hung back and anticipated others moving out. She may already have been in that position, but clearly wasn't reading the road or the situation well.
Anyway. I guess we can't dwell on the rights and wrongs of these things too much. End of the day, nobody came off, and we're all just trying to get somewhere after all...

OP
OP
J

JackoLondon

Regular
Yes , but you can't assume they are going to use common sense.Especially on the CS'ses or anywhere.

You haven't seen the E - W cycle superhighway crash have you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...ing-head-crash-London-cycle-superhighway.html

Actually this wasn't what I was looking for and it's a Daily Wail link.

Ah yes I know that bit,you've got to be really careful on that bend.Both had lights here,that's unusual.
I know that junction well - Always am cautious as that corner is blind (if you stick to the blue cycle path) & it is amazing how many people cut it at speed. Wouldn't be surprised if there were daily incidents!

Lonestar

Veteran
I know that junction well - Always am cautious as that corner is blind (if you stick to the blue cycle path) & it is amazing how many people cut it at speed. Wouldn't be surprised if there were daily incidents!

Always wary there.Cars and peds around there also so it's not worth taking at speed.Limited vision as well.

Mrklaw

Of course, but I'd still expect them to check it's clear BEFORE the stepped out

Which is fine, but basic defensive driving/riding is to not assume they’ll do what they should. I would look behind me (I treat walking like driving in many ways when I’m walking to work), but many won’t

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just an observation: Yesterday whilst cycling in the NL, I was a ‘third layer’ in an overtaking manoeuvre and there was a fourth cyclist overtaking me. All at over 20kph. Like ballet it was. It appears the overtaking cyclist is the party that keeps clear and holds responsibility. No one looking over their shoulders at any point in time.

Drago

Legendary Member
The bottom line is it's up to every user of a highway to be mindful of their own safety, and that of other users. If youre involved in an jncident that may have been caused by someone else, yet you could have avoided it and didnt, then youre as guilty of being HUA as they are.

Levo-Lon

Guru
In motoring an accident is always blamed on the vehicle behind isn't it?

You should have looked, but she should have anticipated your manoeuvre - especially as it was very predictable - and allowed for it. I'd say it's more her fault than yours, but none of us react well when we've just had a shot of adrenaline.

You sure about that.
There's lots of these where people don't look, usually involves a motorcycle and a seriously injured rider, look signal manoeuvre

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGltBBNfb2A

Rockn Robin

Had a bit of an argument with a fellow cyclist whilst commuting to work this morning and wanted to put it past other people to see what they thought.

Basically I was cycling behind 2 other people and a skateboard pulled out ahead of us so, as the oncoming cycle lane was clear, we one by one overtook the skateboard where suddenly this woman came on the outside of me as I was overtaking yelling at me to look before I overtook. Admittedly I didn't look over my shoulder to check behind me before overtaking but I would have thought that she should have anticipated that the cyclists in front of her were going to overtake the slow moving skateboard and that she should wait her turn.

I should have ignored her berating me but I did talk back at her saying that she should have anticipated that I would be following everyone else and overtake the skateboarder and that it was her responsibility being behind me to make sure that she was in a position to safely overtake. Besides at a minimum she should have used the bell that was on her bike.

Again I didn't look and if that makes it my fault then so be-it but I maintain that it is more the responsibility of the person behind you to make sure that they can safely overtake. Thoughts?

It amazes me at times when I encounter varied users on our bike lanes where I live. I encounter those on skateboards, along with joggers, walkers, those on mobility scooters, and wheelchairs, But worst of all I encounter those that chose to ride in the wrong direction towards me. I remember riding along one day and a fellow rider on a road bike called out to me, "on your left," before overtaking me. I thought that was very polite and courteous on his part. From then on I do the same. I don't get much of a chance to overtake cyclists on my folding bike as I'm the one being overtaken, but many a time I have to overtake those who are walking and riding mobility scooters etc.

One thing I do before overtaking anyone is to check my mirrors, especially on a bike lane where I am forced to ride into the roadway in order to go around someone. Is the skateboarder in the wrong? Well, for one thing it would depend on the rules for the bike lane. Are they bike specific, or can anyone, skateboarders included, be allowed to use them? As far as that woman is concerned, I would have just let her go on her way. I try not to allow others to upset me to the point where I get into an argument with someone. If she wants to ride by and flap her jaws, so be it. But to be very honest, perhaps the use of a mirror next time would have avoided that issue, and calling out, "on your left" when you yourself overtake. Yes, that woman should have showed some courtesy and use her bell, or her mouth, but so many today are so impatient. We see it with drivers everyday when we are out on the roads, do we not. Those same impatient drivers can also be impatient riders. My advice, next time check your mirror for someone flying along coming up from behind and anticipate an overtake and hang back. No rush. At least I don't. I ride for the pleasure no matter who I encounter or how slow I am forced to go.

Happy riding. :bicycle:

Rockn Robin

Well put. It's how I try to be. (Not always successfully)

Surely you mean "on your right" ... Checks poster's location ... Arizona. Ah. OK . As you were ;)

^_^

Top Bottom