Cyclist vs motorist vs pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It has got worse since the councils starting taking the roads away from the motorist, and turned them into cycle lanes, we have taken there space,
So since the 1930s, then?

It's certainly better now compared to the 1980s. Even the idiots close-passing aren't quite as close as they used to be. I think a key thing is to ride wide of the left edge, so you've got somewhere left to go besides crashing if an overtaking motorist pulls in too early.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Over the years I think motorists have in general got better in their actions towards cyclists (a lower number of close passes per motorised vehicle), however the traffic numbers have increased massively putting so much pressure on our roads, so that it appears that actually things are worse. In addition, the frustration of motorists stuck in traffic coupled with no enforcement of traffic offences and a rigged judiciary means that some motorists think they can get away with bullying vulnerable road users.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's an interesting conundrum. Motor vehicle numbers are on the up again after dipping slightly, but yearly average mileage has dropped quite markedly. The effect of this is that while there are more vehicles, at any one time, as an average, there are liable to be less of them being driven. Apparently.

mjr

Cycling is seen as poor man's transport - except when we are asking for no-motor-vehicle connections where there isn't space/money/need for ones open to motoring, such as through one-way mazes, across rivers or rails - then cycling is accused of being an elitist form of transport of those rich enough to have time to cycle (ignoring that it's usually faster than motoring in built-up areas), much as it was back in late Victorian times.
And as if on cue, this GoBikes response to the Scottish Herald calling us "privileged bourgeoisie on their two-wheeled terror-spreaders" passes across my desk :thumbsdown:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was recently at a friend’s house where he had a distant relative visiting. I was on my Bike Friday on this occasion. Turns out that he is a truck driver and told me he would soon sort me out if I got in front of his 44ton truck and that I had no right to be on the road and he hated cyclists. I was also told I was a cissie on a lassies bike.
He was not joking and this was a serious attack. My pal was decidedly embarrassed and knowing me was a bit frightened this could escalate badly. As a visitor I just left without escalating the situation.
For Scottish readers he was wearing a Rangers sweat shirt and clutched a Union Jack covered phone.
I am not young but I have never met anyone quite like that before.

boydj

Legendary Member
Am I? I thought I was talking to decent people who would like to share ideas on making peace between all road users. I thought who better to ask about ideas for improving things for cyclists than people who chose to join a cycling forum.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am absolutely not trying to pit one group against another. I really can't be bothered with such futile trivialities. Although if my starting this thread has created an opportunity for some to vent their anger, then I guess that might help someone in some way.

While most cyclists drive, only a small percentage of drivers will cycle with any regularity on busy roads. However, I don't see a war on the roads between cyclists and drivers. What I see is a small percentage of drivers who are either incompetent or resentful of cyclists and generate fear and anger when they drive badly near a cyclist. Cyclists have a very limited ability to do the same to drivers.

mjr

While most cyclists drive, only a small percentage of drivers will cycle with any regularity on busy roads. However, I don't see a war on the roads between cyclists and drivers. What I see is a small percentage of drivers who are either incompetent or resentful of cyclists and generate fear and anger when they drive badly near a cyclist. Cyclists have a very limited ability to do the same to drivers.
Yet again, I'm thinking we're too damned nice to be respected, as in https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/3905335/

simongt

Guru
A connected observation.
According to a Polish HGV driver I know who has 'been about a bit', the drivers on these fair islands of ours are by far the most easy going of any in Europe - ! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom