Cyclists Blamed for Bus Crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't need to.
Or can't because people were actually claiming any cyclists wouldn't explain the crash by any competent driver, rather than claiming a busy cycle route has no cyclists.

Or can't because people were actually claiming any cyclists wouldn't explain the crash by any competent driver, rather than claiming a busy cycle route has no cyclists.

No, actually there were some posts claiming that there weren't any cyclists at all.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes thanks, and I've counted six such posts before I got bored of it.

Hmmmm. I counted two that made that claim, some others (myself included) expressed scepticism at the driver's account.

However, it matters not as the company has now:
  • conceded that the driver's excuse was bollocks
  • apologised for tweeting cyclists were to blame
  • fired the driver
  • confirmed he was speeding.

Hopefully he'll be prosecuted for careless driving too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hmmmm. I counted two that made that claim,
I think that's being rather generous in the interpretation of them as no cyclists were there, rather than no cyclists were where the driver/company initially claimed.

No, actually there were some posts claiming that there weren't any cyclists at all.
Seriously? Is that how you read this?
Honestly, I don't think there were any cyclists.

I wasn't denying the existence of cyclists in general, I am one. Nor was I denying the existence of Cambridge cyclists, I've cycled there. No, the only cyclists I was denying existed were the ones that "caused" this accident. There are probably cyclists near most accidents in the UK. Their mere presence does not implicate them as a cause.

And your qualifications for this piece of speculation are...?
I'm sure @robjh, like most of us, has spent a lot of time moving in traffic. We absorb a lot of knowledge about the capability and movements of different vehicles by observation. It's no surprise that the first person killed by a commercial train service was during that services inaugural run, but we understand so much about how vehicles can and do move to cross a busy road with confidence.

I think any competent person can look at the trajectory of that bus and state with confidence that a bus being driven at 15mph by a competent driver would not end up smashed into a wall with that force, even if it was beset by thousands of wobbly cyclists.

robjh

Legendary Member
And your qualifications for this piece of speculation are...?
Familiarity with the site in question and observation of typical behaviour of cyclists and buses there over several years; examination of still visible traces there a few days later; possession of normal intelligence and the power of reason.

What are yours?

Incidentally, even the driver's own account confirms that my three points of speculation in that post were all correct.

Last edited:
Seriously? Is that how you read this?

I wasn't denying the existence of cyclists in general, I am one. Nor was I denying the existence of Cambridge cyclists, I've cycled there. No, the only cyclists I was denying existed were the ones that "caused" this accident. There are probably cyclists near most accidents in the UK. Their mere presence does not implicate them as a cause.

I'm sure @robjh, like most of us, has spent a lot of time moving in traffic. We absorb a lot of knowledge about the capability and movements of different vehicles by observation. It's no surprise that the first person killed by a commercial train service was during that services inaugural run, but we understand so much about how vehicles can and do move to cross a busy road with confidence.

I think any competent person can look at the trajectory of that bus and state with confidence that a bus being driven at 15mph by a competent driver would not end up smashed into a wall with that force, even if it was beset by thousands of wobbly cyclists.

You would need physics to demonstrate the suppositions about the bus's movement, simply saying "I've observed buses so I know what they would do in a given scenario" is frankly pointless,,, and your own post saying "I don't think there were any cyclists" is not backed up by the photo showing cyclists. Regardless of whether it was their fault. If you choose to make silly mistakes in your choice of phrase that's up to you.

Top Bottom