"Cyclists do thirty mph, poo on village green"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

But then if a 99p shop has its planning rejected by Lymington councillors because "It would tarnish the look of the town" then what hope has all us lycra louts got to do a sportive? Toffs, the lot of them.

Lanzecki

Über Member
My atire for the next time inside the grids.

imgp4756.jpg

Found at : http://tuckamoredew.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/edmonton-tweed-ride-2011/

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Observation, not education. Been a while since we wore buckskins and raccoon hats over here in the "Colonies". More about practicality than style. Unless you do not mind having a nice blocked fedora fall off your head and land in a puddle. Might also state that "Mr Dew" is writing to us from Canada, in Edmonton, Alberta, and has a very nice blog. Well written, and with excellent photographs.http://tuckamoredew.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/edmonton-tweed-ride-2011/

Last edited:

PpPete

Legendary Member
"Mr Dew" is writing to us from Canada, in Edmonton, Alberta, and has a very nice blog. Well written, and with excellent photographs.http://tuckamoredew.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/edmonton-tweed-ride-2011/
And therefore manages to retain an understanding of irony, which some further south appear to lack ...
Don't get me wrong, I like Americans, and I spend a good part of my working life translating English into words they can understand, but just sometimes :banghead:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you read the article, the poo quote is unattributed. The body of the article is dedicated to a couple of bods (Maureen Holdong and Peter Roberts) saying that large commercial sportives are actually races in all but name and encourage reckless cycling. That may be true - or may not, I have no idea.

I suspect that road.cc have presented it in this way, concentrating on the unattributed poo quote, in order to attract general mockery, and to divert attention from the more reasonable points made afterwards. I'm not saying that I agree with them, but their points deserve a bit more consideration than just chortling "they said poo!".

If they remain pissed off then in the worst case they could possibly make some decision that could affect all cyclists - not just sportive riders.

I have no opinion either way: I don't do sportives, the New Forest isn't "my patch", and the chances of me exceeding 30mph other than going down a gurt big hill are a big fat nil.

DRHysted

Guru
I was reminded by my mother the other day of the meeting that was held to discuss the restriction to dog walkers on the New Forest.
They had hired a hall in Lyndhurst, but before the meeting began it was filled to capacity with people still arriving. In the end they held the meeting at Boltons Bench (a large car park on the edge of Lyndhurst). The car park was packed, the hill was covered similar to what you get at rock concerts.
The administration after that meeting never mentioned restrictions again (however they did close a number of car parks that the locals used).

In my experiance it is the imported money, or those that think they are rich which are more intolorant. Whereas the old money, or seriously rich seem to just let it roll.

I think we really saw what people are complaining about after the last Wiggle event. It was an offroad event and got no complaints, it would have been on the gravel tracks, so mixing with pedestrians, and much more livestock. So we can see it's not people who are concerned about the Forest that are complaining, but those who are being inconvienced in their cars.

Mattonsea

Über Member
So what about us New Forest residents that have to put up with the annual round up? where horses and the like race across the road whilst us motorists have to be inconvenienced whilst they ponce about shouting? cycling, driving and tredding in horse poo? or is it cause im a "gridder" my opinions dont count? (gridder being the local term for anyone living outside of the cattle grids). Bloody nimbys.:cursing:
The drifts or round ups have been going for centuries . Go and look up the New Forest Sportive post and you will find out why WE need to move the livestock around the Forest.

Top Bottom