Cyclists gets a finger wag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
somebody-please-think-of-the-children-en-ffffff.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I will

langley-children-many-children.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't understand why people cycle without lights at night - you can pick up those little flashing single LED ones for a couple of quid at the pound-shop; doesn't seem worth the risk does it.
Do you really not understand, or do you mean you pour scorn on anyone who reaches a different conclusion about the risk than you? While unlit cycling at night is illegal and I agree that spending a pound or two on bobby-dodgers seems worthwhile (so you don't have your time wasted by finger-wagging police, for starters), the legal minimum of 4 candela (yes, 4, not 40 or 400!) flashing lights is not much different to riding unlit (for comparison, car lights are allowed to display 350 candela into the so-called unlit cut-off area of dipped headlights) and unlit cycling is disproportionately UNDER-represented in cycling collisions at something like 2.5% - it seems like much more than 1 in 40 cyclists have no lights, doesn't it?

Pervert?

Ok , I must be wrong thinking it would be handy if other road users can actually see you on the road , , dark damp January night in poor visibility , yep , thats ok ,
It's OK to think that, but if other road users can't actually see an unlit road user or object in the road, they are not driving/riding legally (=so they can stop within what they can see to be clear) and should be stopped and have any licence taken away.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
You saw her even though she had no hi-viz lights or helmet and was riding a dark bike wearing a black coat.

What I saw first was the Police Officer , who as we know have reflective hi vis , not knowing what was going on I slowed ,then I saw the Lady as I was within yards of them , , a Police Patrol Sarg't once told me , the worst part if his job was informing the families of persons who had been needlessly killed in RTA's , regardless of who was at fault ,
This Officer was doing his job as I see it,

classic33

Leg End Member
It's OK to think that, but if other road users can't actually see an unlit road user or object in the road, they are not driving/riding legally (=so they can stop within what they can see to be clear) and should be stopped and have any licence taken away.
A: Not all road users require a licence to use the roads.
B: Cycling/driving at night on public roads, tends to be illegal.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Do you really not understand, or do you mean you pour scorn on anyone who reaches a different conclusion about the risk than you? While unlit cycling at night is illegal
I don't understand why cyclists wouldn't spend a few pounds to reduce the risk ... of being pulled over by the police; being fined for not having any lights; having no defense if involved in an accident because of being unlit after dark (cycling illegally).

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
There is no risk of being pulled by the police - the number of motorists I see every day with headlight bulbs out proves that, as does this account of the finger-wagging policeman. Why didn't he stop the cyclist rather than wag his finger?

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Perhaps we should all just ditch our lights then and cycle around at night unlit? You first ... ^_^

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
There is no risk of being pulled by the police - the number of motorists I see every day with headlight bulbs out proves that, as does this account of the finger-wagging policeman. Why didn't he stop the cyclist rather than wag his finger?
He did stop her ,
And was off his M bike ,

Top Bottom