Cyclists gets a finger wag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Haud the bus! Stuff from £1 shops now costs £2??? Is this a Brexit thing?
It's magic - you'll like this, not a lot, but you'll like it --- Front light = £1 - rear light = £1 --- total £2 ;) :biggrin:

as I drive along esp in the winter months it does help to identify what is ahead ,and from a good distance when there are reflective bands etc , but , there are also pedestrians to consider,
Gosh, you are right. Lights for pedestrians, it's common sense.

Big Andy

Über Member
I would rather suggest that your steps are unreasonable and probably mistaken. You seem to focus on number of lights but make no mention whether any are actually legally sufficient and complying with UK or German standards.
I focus on being easily seen and am confident I am. However you are free to consider that unreasonable if you wish.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Gosh, you are right. Lights for pedestrians, it's common sense.
The Rural area where my Brother lives , yes ,some pedestrians do carry lights ,snd wesr hi vis , good common sense in areas where there is no street lighting, , I would have thought.

Maybe I should have spelt out that pedestrians in poorly lit areas can only benefit from bike riders having lights , to avoid being bashed into as they cross the road, or infact to escape the pavement bashing cyclists ,
So due consideration ,

The Rural area where my Brother lives , yes ,some pedestrians do carry lights ,snd wesr hi vis , good common sense in areas where there is no street lighting
Absolutely. And I do hope the local PCs give then a good finger wagging if they're out and about without it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Rural area where my Brother lives , yes ,some pedestrians do carry lights ,snd wesr hi vis , good common sense in areas where there is no street lighting, , I would have thought.
We carry lights to see where we're going, not for the benefit of other road users who should have their own lights. (My street is lit but most of the adjacent ones are not.)

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have a wonderful hi-vis anecdote which I must tell you all one day. It does involve a finger wagging.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why do you have a back light then? I use lights to see and to be seen.
Because I'm legally required to, but I agree with CTC's 1930s opposition to them. It's absurd to think you can make yourself "be seen" and one suggested reason for the disproportionately small number of unlit cyclist collisions is that they assume others HAVEN'T seen them.

Edit: I don't carry a back light when walking, though. My walking lantern is white 360°.

Last edited:
Top Bottom