Cyclists hitting an invisible gate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But the boy never made a mistake, under the hierarchy of the road the driver has a duty of care which it seems like in the vicinity of a crossing they showed.

Technically correct
but the boy also have responsibilities
judging the stopping ability of the car/driver to within 50cm was risky - if the driver had blinked he would have been closer - or hit!

One of those where it went OK - but of the boy had been run over the driver would not have been judged "at fault" because it was too close
Although a driver has a responsibility to avoid a collision whenever possible - so has the pedestrian

I'm sure there is something about it in the HC
can;t be bothered to look it up at the moment

There may be trouble ahead.....
IMG-20240229-171052187.jpg

Not today my friend!
IMG-20240229-171158518.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Many decades ago, a mate and I were watching (unknown to him) a classmate playing on his BMX on the site of the new village bypass, which had an impressive new embankment. He'd set up a ramp at the bottom and was doing big jumps.

When getting serious air the third or fourth time, he crossed up his handlebars for style points. And didn't uncross them before he landed. SPLAT.

He then proceeded to kick and berate the bike using every swear word under the sun for a solid five minutes. We knew he'd start on us if he knew we were there, so we had to laugh our heads off silently!

From that view I can see how it blends into the backgound a bit
especially if your eyes are a bit watery from the wind

Eyesights objective so everyone sees it differently, first time down that road for me so wasn't expecting it but stopped when I saw it. Its an old pit railway apparently so theres quite an incline down to get some speed up.

a.twiddler

Veteran
This problem is not new. I remember reading about the Taff Trail a year or more ago when I was wondering about its feasibility on a recumbent bike with regard to the barriers on it and it seems that there were some barriers with which cyclists had been persistently colliding over the years. I can't recall now whether they were just repainted or actually resited. My concern at the time was more about whether I could actually get through them.

Even if a rider didn't see the gate there they should be slowing right down there as they reach the road!

Those pics aren't of the same place as the video ? Unless there's been a lot of things changed since the video ?

Even if a rider didn't see the gate there they should be slowing right down there as they reach the road!

Well techically they shouldn't be on the road as it had a 'private road' sign at the top but I was feeling explorey :whistle:

Those pics aren't of the same place as the video ? Unless there's been a lot of things changed since the video ?
Its not, I just spotted a similar gate on last nights ride and snapped a couple of pictures.

Technically correct
but the boy also have responsibilities
judging the stopping ability of the car/driver to within 50cm was risky - if the driver had blinked he would have been closer - or hit!

One of those where it went OK - but of the boy had been run over the driver would not have been judged "at fault" because it was too close
Although a driver has a responsibility to avoid a collision whenever possible - so has the pedestrian

I'm sure there is something about it in the HC
can;t be bothered to look it up at the moment

Which is why some drivers are muppets in the UK, fortunately the witnessed one wasn't.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There is no eyesight standard for riding a bike. I normally wear glasses but I cycle without them in winter, when there are no flies, because rain on glasses is even more dangerous. I can legally drive without glasses anyway. Anyway, grey galvanised barriers can be pretty hard to see if you don't know they're there. I nearly got caught out the first time I did my current commute.

Top Bottom