Cyclists in Kent, please help me with village shop and cafe feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I haven't posted for a long time, partly because I've not been able to cycle through injury.

However, I am back in the saddle, but also saddled with an interesting task - our village shop closed rather suddenly, and we are researching the idea of a community shop and cafe to replace it. We are hoping to use the Plunkett Foundation for advice (very interesting website here: https://plunkett.co.uk/community-shops/) and need to complete a survey first.

So - I have made a new survey for cyclists and ramblers, so please use this link, which I have edited in:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JXPGZQS

I would love to hear any general observations you have about what you buy in village shops, but for those of you who actually pass through our area of Kent, specifically the Staplehurst - Headcorn - Frittenden - Biddenden area, it would be really helpful if you could complete the survey.

We need some really honest feedback about what might work, I'd be very grateful for any experiences or suggestions you can share. We have lots of cyclists passing through (the Bell and Jorrocks pub is a popular spot) and would like to know what would make you choose to stop.

The cafe would be sited so that it has a tea garden with a really lovely gentle Wealden view at the back, which isn't visible from the road.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'll do the survey later. But you might want to get in touch with the shop at Ide Hill. I think this is (or was) a community shop. It used to be run out of a shipping container, but it's quite a grand affair now (which is why I wonder if it may not be a community shop any more)

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I'll do the survey later. But you might want to get in touch with the shop at Ide Hill. I think this is (or was) a community shop. It used to be run out of a shipping container, but it's quite a grand affair now (which is why I wonder if it may not be a community shop any more)
Thanks Dogtrousers! I had heard about the legendary shipping container. Sounds like one I should visit - we are planning to visit a few shops and I have been making sure to talk to as many people as possible just to get an impression of what works for people.

:okay:

Sharky

Guru
I live in a Kent Village
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longfield

But our son-in-law, claims that it can't really be called a village, because it has a Waitrose!
As I sit here in our olde worlde Costa Coffee, I think back to the days when the club run used to stop at cafes and the one thing I remember was that tea was served in pint mugs.

Nowadays, the only café I use on a regular basis is the National Trust café at Ightham Mote. No particular reason, other than it is just at the half way point on one of my regular loops.

Good luck with your venture

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just checked and Ide Hill is still a community shop. A really good cycling stop as it's at the top of a hill so you need a rest, has public loos and has nice views over Bough Beech reservoir.

They must have got a fair wodge of cash from somewhere to move from the container into their nice purpose built place.

I sometimes ride your way, so you can count on me for one visit a year at least. Maybe two.

D

Deleted member 26715

Please bear in mind I live a long way from you & things might be different in your neck of the woods, but for the feature of having toilets alone will bring in people, if the access were through the shop & it was made clear that although they are free it does cost to maintain them & a contribution in the shop would help, or for that matter you could charge a small fee for them. I know when the wife & I are out & about finding facilities is getting more & more difficult these days, I can go behind a tree, but she doesn't like doing that!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I live in a Kent Village
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longfield

But our son-in-law, claims that it can't really be called a village, because it has a Waitrose!
As I sit here in our olde worlde Costa Coffee, I think back to the days when the club run used to stop at cafes and the one thing I remember was that tea was served in pint mugs.

Nowadays, the only café I use on a regular basis is the National Trust café at Ightham Mote. No particular reason, other than it is just at the half way point on one of my regular loops.

Good luck with your venture
Yes, my mother's village has a Sainsbury and a Costa now! - but the olde tea roome still does good business. It is a much larger place!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Please bear in mind I live a long way from you & things might be different in your neck of the woods, but for the feature of having toilets alone will bring in people, if the access were through the shop & it was made clear that although they are free it does cost to maintain them & a contribution in the shop would help, or for that matter you could charge a small fee for them. I know when the wife & I are out & about finding facilities is getting more & more difficult these days, I can go behind a tree, but she doesn't like doing that!
We are thinking about loos - we are hoping to put the shop in or next to the Village Hall, which has loos but isn't always open. We want to remodel the Hal so that the loos are more accessible to the public. Thank you for your thoughts!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I just checked and Ide Hill is still a community shop. A really good cycling stop as it's at the top of a hill so you need a rest, has public loos and has nice views over Bough Beech reservoir.

They must have got a fair wodge of cash from somewhere to move from the container into their nice purpose built place.
They did... another reason to pick their brains!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Hello all, I made a new version of the survey aimed at cyclists and ramblers. Dogtrousers, and anyone who has already filled it in - no need for you to reply again, your answers are what made me rethink and do the new version, which I have already sent out to a couple of cycle clubs in Kent.

Thank you! - the new survey is at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JXPGZQS

:cheers::girldance::hungry::cuppa:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I am both a cyclist and walker which your survey doesn't allow for. Good luck in getting your shop setup. I do look for where shops are in planning my rides and somewhere I can stop to get out the weather for hot food and drink is great.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I am both a cyclist and walker which your survey doesn't allow for. Good luck in getting your shop setup. I do look for where shops are in planning my rides and somewhere I can stop to get out the weather for hot food and drink is great.
Oh duh I think I can change the way the options work, but I'll bear your response in mind, no need to fill it out again! Thank you!

Top Bottom