cyclists - the not so good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fraser1

You do realise there are multiple reasons for looking over your shoulder, one of which is to check the path is clear when changing lane/overtaking, another perfectly valid reason is to be generally aware of what is going on in your surroundings which is what Markymark was referring to, he quite clearly does both.

I can't think of a single instance in the last month where I've spotted a cyclist not use a shoulder check when required. Sure it does happen occasionally, but its really not the wide spread issue you claim it to be. Its a natural and pretty obvious safety protocol to follow, that the vast majority of cyclists do like e.g. not cycling on the wrong side of the road, hence us not feeling there is a need for widespread promotion/education campaigns on the matter.

I never did the check whilst cycling, and then got it drilled into me whilst doing my CBT/ full license. That's why I was surprised that another poster who has an advanced motorbike never notices it.

there's nothing wrong being aware of what's around you, although it's safer having wing mirrors to keep more of a check on things. Markymark does not clearly know when or why to look over your shoulder. He thinks it's for when cars are overtaking you.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

I never did the check whilst cycling, and then got it drilled into me whilst doing my CBT/ full license. That's why I was surprised that another poster who has an advanced motorbike never notices it.

there's nothing wrong being aware of what's around you, although it's safer having wing mirrors to keep more of a check on things. Markymark does not clearly know when or why to look over your shoulder. He thinks it's for when cars are overtaking you.

ok stay safe all, and Markymaprk pls remember to learn how to safety check

k_green

Markymark does not clearly know when or why to look over your shoulder. He thinks it's for when cars are overtaking you.

I look over my shoulder when cars are overtaking to see if they are being sensible in their positioning. If they're out wide, breathe a sigh of relief and keep an eye on the oncoming cars to ensure the overtaking car won't need to pull in suddenly. If they're passing very close, assess what I can do to make it safer for me (slow down, pull in, take primary etc).
Checking overtaking cars is very important to me, it's just part of acknowledging I'm vulnerable and need to have the best possible knowledge of my surroundings.

NickNick

You might not have done, but no one has ever taught me to cycle on the roads yet I have always checked over my shoulder, as does every poster in this thread and the vast majority of cyclists. Not sure where Markymark has claimed to only look over his shoulder when cars overtake? You can do it for both reasons.

NickNick

I'm smelling a flounce.

Its been a pretty poor example of drive by trolling.

Its been a pretty poor example of drive by trolling.
I think it was pretty good.

1. I'm a cyclist too
2. Load of generalisations
3. Unwittingly mentioned their own law breaking
4. Failed to spot the inaccuracies and nonsense he spouts
5. Failed to spot the hypocrisy of his post
6. Dug and dug and dug his own hole
7. Failed to take on any points by people with more experience
8. Showed their lack of understanding
9. Resorted to insults when they realised it wasn't going their wa
10. Flounce.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I get the impression everybody on this forum thinks I'm personally attacking cyclists, I don't mean to be. I do however think there should be some kind of campaign to highlight the importance of checking over your shoulder on a push bike. I do not see many cyclists do it and it could save lives.
What, you mean like a training scheme that teaches looking over either shoulder at Level 1, doing a left-shoulder check before pulling in and a right-shoulder check before pulling out or turning right at Level 2 and carrying out "a left shoulder final check for undertaking traffic" and also "they should look over their left shoulder frequently" like @Markymark does at Level 3? You've never taken Bikeability, then?

Ok on a motorbike it's really not uncommon to sit between two vehicles at a traffic light. you take off ahead of them as motorbikes are quick off the mark, unless a cyclist parks directly infront of him in an empty cycle box.
No cyclist parks in a cycle box, do they? I've never seen a parking stand or anything to lock to in one.

As I've said, I could have stayed stationary but then traffic behind may have followed the vans very closely. I took the decision to move ahead and go into an empty cycle box contravening the highway code.
Not only contravening the highway code but committing an offence punishable by a fixed penalty notice. It's sadly rarely dished out in that situation but that's no excuse.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I've cycled in London, drove a car in London and now use a Vespa. I've done all three over the last 20 years primarily in West London and find the following:

- Cyclists take risks, NEVER look over their shoulder if they're overtaking a vehicle or another cyclist. As a motorcyclist this is drummed into you when you are doing your CBT of full bike test - it's called a lifesaver check. Why is this?

http://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/the-5-elements-of-cbt/element-c/indicating-observation-osmpsl/

It surprises me that even a few cyclists don't do this.

- Drivers of cars are completely unaware, they just follow the road and rarely check mirrors. Undertaking a car is a risk. When I'm out on my bicycle I assume the drivers are the worst and never see me, but a lot of cyclists want to ride with the rights of the law in mind and nothing else. Insane.

- On a motorcycle we are inbetween everybody.

What prompted me to sign up to this forum is a cyclist today going mental at me for going in a cycle box - it was empty apart from one other cyclist who was on the far left, and then a brompton rider comes in and stops directly infront of me. I was inbetween two vans with their wing mirrors next to me and the one on the right was edging forward, so I wanted to be able to get away in front of them as it was a squeeze there. I went forward and to the right of the brompton and he immediately started filming with his head cams- me , my girlfriend and then my number plate explaining how it was going to be a really bad day for me as he was going to report me. There was so much space in a 2 lane width cycle box. There are dicks in all walk of life but cyclists do attract them.

When you go into a cycle box, if there's space to go the side of any motorcycles so they can get past you when the lights go green, it's much appreciated.

As an aside, I hope London continues to build cycle lanes. On any two wheels you see the cars queued up for miles on end and think how on earth are we still doing this in 2017

REALLY.:wacko:
Now you know what we as cyclist are up against.

classic33

Leg End Member
No Marky, you do a lifesaver check if YOU are overtaking or turning left. I think you're confused here.

Ps - why would you do a lifesaver check in a cycle box?? You are stationary.
Here's some more info on lifesaver checks so you can learn more about them:

http://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/the-5-elements-of-cbt/element-c/indicating-observation-osmpsl/
To establish eye contact with the drivers behind, to see which way the front wheels of the vehicles may be pointing, indicators if in use, assess the vehicle behind(bus/HGV, giving room to let them pass once on the move), volume of traffic behind.

No rear view mirror on my bikes.

NickNick

I think it was pretty good.

1. I'm a cyclist too
2. Load of generalisations
3. Unwittingly mentioned their own law breaking
4. Failed to spot the inaccuracies and nonsense he spouts
5. Failed to spot the hypocrisy of his post
6. Dug and dug and dug his own hole
7. Failed to take on any points by people with more experience
8. Showed their lack of understanding
9. Resorted to insults when they realised it wasn't going their wa
10. Flounce.

True its a good example in that sense, but I like to see a bit more creativity and suspense, if they're going to troll they should at least put the effort in to make it interesting.

Top Bottom