cyclocross or winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I'm looking at getting some tyres to see me through the winter months and to chuck on if the weather gets particularly nasty.

my regular route is down the bristol to bath cycle track with the odd few road miles chucked in for good measure. Im not 100% confident in the damp at the moment as my offs have been on slipery roads. I have been looking at replacing the continental contacts with some nice ish narrower tyres for when its dry (may even get some nice wheels too as im running odd wheels at the moment) but for the wet and mucky and winter im a bit torn. I'm not intending to do cyclocross but the tyres ive seen have quite a decent amount of tread (lots of muck and leaf litter around the cycle track at the moment) and would be ok on the roads too! the other option im looking at is a set of dedicated snow tyres just in case it gets really nasty and keep the nice tyres for anything else!

i can only say my confidence will increase using normal tyres anyway but would take quite a while (im having to cut back on the amount of runs but have increased the distance and time) what are your thoughts on both?

im currently riding a ridgeback velocity (60cm frame) with continental contacts front and rear at 700cx38 i think

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I bought a pair of schwalbe (hope that's how you spell it) land cruisers in 700 x 38 for my cross bike and have to say they have performed well. Just enough tread for the rough stuff and nice grip on wet damp roads and the best bit, there about £16 each!

Hope this helps

Top Bottom