DAB radio problem - BBC stations gone AWOL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sony jobbie

It has worked fine since Christmas
Suddenly all of the BBC stations simply, resolutely, absolutely silent.
Retuned it - BBC Sussex returns to the fold but none of the national BBC stations listed
Reset it - BBC Sussex still there but national BBC radio still nowhere to be seen.

Other DAB radios in other rooms working normally.

Any ideas?

classic33

Leg End Member

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BBC Sussex almost certainly on a local multiplex. You're still not picking up the BBC national one. Try moving it to the same location as one of the working sets and retuning, to see if it's something wrong with the set or a poor signal at the location.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4867653, member: 45"]What's the aerial like?[/QUOTE]
carp. piece of wire. but the carp aerial has worked well enough since Xtmas :sad:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Plan for afterwork today.

Take it upstairs, re tune it, if it picks em up bring it back down and see if it still works in the chosen location, if not...

...consider an outdoor aerial. (If anyone knows how to convert a wire to a co-ax I'm all ears.)

Rezillo

TwoSheds
National muxes sharing the same frequency will wipe each other out if you receive signals from several transmitters at a time. We've got DAB sockets in most rooms and when I put the rooftop aerial up and plugged it into a distribution amp, while I could get local stations 3 counties away, the BBC muxes disappeared. I had to point the aerial 45 degs away from the transmitter and chop a chunk off it before I got them back.

The weather is probably affecting reception for you on a radio with good sensitivity or in a room with better reception than the others - if you're using the radio's own aerial, don't extend it.

Tim Hall

Plan for afterwork today.

Take it upstairs, re tune it, if it picks em up bring it back down and see if it still works in the chosen location, if not...

...consider an outdoor aerial. (If anyone knows how to convert a wire to a co-ax I'm all ears.)
Sounds like a good approach. FWIW I can get the stations you mention on my DAB radio and it's likely we're using the same transmitter(s). Mind you, you say your other sets can receive them too, so that points to a problem with that particular receiver. Is there a "factory reset" you can do? My 10 year(?) old Sainsbo's DAB radio needs this from time to time, as it inserts random alarm wake up times.

Other than that, DAB, I loves it. Radio 4 Extra by my bedside.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sounds like a good approach. FWIW I can get the stations you mention on my DAB radio and it's likely we're using the same transmitter(s). Mind you, you say your other sets can receive them too, so that points to a problem with that particular receiver. Is there a "factory reset" you can do? My 10 year(?) old Sainsbo's DAB radio needs this from time to time, as it inserts random alarm wake up times.

Other than that, DAB, I loves it. Radio 4 Extra by my bedside.
The other sets are upstairs, front of house, the awkward one is downstairs back of house. But neither it nor the house nor the "transmitter" have moved. The local DAB repeater is about 500m and almost in line of sight from the living room. tlh wants the DAB downstairs in a particular location, and having had it working there is most displeased that it has ceased.

Radio 4 Extra on DAB + SleepPhones is the insomniacs friend.

Top Bottom