DAB radio problem - BBC stations gone AWOL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I still think you are picking up additional BBC transmitters during weather when reception is improved. The problem with this is that it will cause BBC stations to disappear as by and large, they use the same tuning parameters nationally. DAB receivers do not like this when signal strengths are similar.

An easy way to check is to do a rescan - do any unfamiliar stations appear? When this was happening to me I was getting Kent and Surrey DAB stations from Suffolk.

Try using it in part of the house with poor reception or wind in the aerial and see what happens. You need to try reducing the signal, not improving it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All depends on the weather. I lose the signal in heavy rain, thunder storms, snow etc.
The government was going to switch off the FM wavebands some years back,, But changed their minds when they found out how poor DAB can be.
Never experienced this. The only time I hear a garbled signal is on my kitchen DAB radio which is right next to the microwave... it garbles when the microwave is cooking. This is rectified by extending the aerial. Maybe I live within a strong signal area?

KneesUp

Guru
DAB quality is dire - it wasn't great to start with but as more stations are offered they've downgraded them. I now have a Raspberry Pi and an IQaudIO DAC+ connected to an old amp. It runs Volumio and minimstreamer, so I get every BBC station in 320kbps quality.

Tim Hall

DAB quality is dire - it wasn't great to start with but as more stations are offered they've downgraded them. I now have a Raspberry Pi and an IQaudIO DAC+ connected to an old amp. It runs Volumio and minimstreamer, so I get every BBC station in 320kbps quality.
I've got Kodi, with the radio addon, and I can't remember which DAC doing much the same.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
More than adequate for talk radio.

Top Bottom