Daft questions about TdF from colleagues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
What I don't get is......

They all have GPS transmitters on the seatpost of their bikes. Why can't the organisers use those to give exact timings for each rider crossing the finish line, and aggregate those exact times to determine the race winner? No bonus seconds, or bunches of riders all being given the same time as the first rider in the bunch. Make it more like.. you know.... a race.
Because GPS isn't accurate enough.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

They all have GPS transmitters on the seatpost of their bikes. Why can't the organisers use those to give exact timings for each rider crossing the finish line, and aggregate those exact times to determine the race winner? No bonus seconds, or bunches of riders all being given the same time as the first rider in the bunch. Make it more like.. you know.... a race.
I assume this is a joke right?

ever seen a bike change due to a mechanical?
can you imagine the carnage if the back of a group didn't get the same time as the front of a group? there would be a massive crash in every finish sprint?
are you one of Saluki's colleagues?:okay:

It is designed to provide excitement thru out the race by encouraging breakaways, intermediate sprints, climbs etc. If not the teams will game the system and aim just for yellow. Not the green or pokka dot jerseys etc. It also addresses the various advantages and limitations of riders. Some can climb, some can sprint, some can do both. Helps reward various cycling skills set. Example would be Cavendish, will never ever win TDF or any of the Grand finals but an outstanding sprinter and exceptional sprint tactics and skills, not just raw power. Expected to break the World record in winning stages.

An integral part of the race is strategy and tactics. Case in point is Team Jumbo Visma. Arguably one of 3 best teams in terms of riders but poor strategy and tactics, last and this year.

Similar to cricket in some ways. Some batsmen cannot take spinners, yorkers, outswingers, in swingers and the unexpected slow bowl. If not 5 days long days of the same thing.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
"Why are they all so skinny?"

Because they are professional cyclists who put in thousands of kilometres a year, not to mention all the other high intensity training they undertake.

"Yeah, but you say you ride a bike and you're a fat b#stard"

Erm.... :blush:

I stood next to a few pro riders in the Tour of Turkey a few years back - flipping heck, most are like stick insects.

My mother- in- law ask me a question a while back about the TDF.

Why does someone have to push them when they stop at the side of the road (mechanical)

probably a reasonable question.

They are in a big gear and need all the help they can get.

Last edited:

dodgy

I once got asked by a barman in a pub if I was entering the TdF. He was serious. He knew I was a pretty 'serious' (where's Bonj?) cyclist, and he thought that was the main qualification. He also thought the entire race was circuits of Paris. I'm not making this up.

Because GPS isn't accurate enough.
The timings are indeed taken from the transponders plus or minus for various bonus, penalties, plus any adjustments / allowances due to crashes etc that are covered by the rules. Hence every second is important.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Still don't get it.
Like going to a cup final and then sitting there with your pie to see the teams trot out and perform a ballet.
Try telling this guy the last stage isn't a race ;)
1625042731041.png

(Champs-Élysées 2012)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

You would have even more crashes. The fact that everyone in the bunch gets the same time stops the need for jostling at the front.
It’s exactly what the protest yesterday was about.

My mother- in- law ask me a question a while back about the TDF.

Why does someone have to push them when they stop at the side of the road (mechanical)

probably a reasonable question.

They are in a big gear and need all the help they can get.
It IS a reasonable question!

I guess the short answer is they don't NEED a push, but it's an advantage that the team are allowed to gain.
(and it makes sense as they are usually delayed by the incident that's put them at the side of the road)

Top Bottom