Daft questions about TdF from colleagues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I know the TdF is a bike race, or at least the hell of a club ride out but to be honest I watch it for the scenery. I can only do engineering maths and physics so I'm not equipped to make sense of the points scoring....
mrs ck actually likes the scenery too :smile:

yello

I once got asked by a barman in a pub if I was entering the TdF. He was serious. He knew I was a pretty 'serious' (where's Bonj?) cyclist, and he thought that was the main qualification. He also thought the entire race was circuits of Paris. I'm not making this up.
My lord, now there's a question! Blast from the past or what!

And I believe you - I was doing a 600 once and a petrol statíon attendant asked me if it was for the Tour de France. It was late, I had stopped for some food and he was intrigued as to why so many lit-up, kitted-up cyclists were on the road.

yello

as a tour nerd you can doubtless supply us with the tally of final race days over the entire history.
Maybe I don't understand your point but you do realise it's always a race on the final day. Maybe not for the GC, nor perhaps not even the green jersey, but to claim a stage win is prestige in itself - and particularly the final stage on the Champs-Élysées

Maybe I don't understand your point but you do realise it's always a race on the final day. Maybe not for the GC, nor perhaps not even the green jersey, but to claim a stage win is prestige in itself - and particularly the final stage on the Champs-Élysées
yep i do realise that - but it aint the big prize.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
yep i do realise that - but it aint the big prize.
No one stage decides the big prize, it's a multi-stage race. If you want to see a race where the "big prize" is guaranteed to be decided on one specific day, you have to watch a one-day race. Or else you will find yourself disappointed that the "big prize" wasn't settled each time you watch a stage. (Mind you, I think the big prize looks like it may have been sorted on today's stage ;) )

proletaratOne

No one stage decides the big prize, it's a multi-stage race. If you want to see a race where the "big prize" is guaranteed to be decided on one specific day, you have to watch a one-day race. Or else you will find yourself disappointed that the "big prize" wasn't settled each time you watch a stage. (Mind you, I think the big prize looks like it may have been sorted on today's stage ;) )
You can’t win it on one stage

but you certainly can lose it on one stage

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Watching the riders going down the Mont Ventoux today, our daughter said: " Why don't the riders behind pedal faster and overtake the one in front?" :wacko:

Top Bottom