Daft questions about TdF from colleagues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
one of few exceptions though that prove the rule?
Not really. Here's Sam Bennett on the Champs-Élysées in 2020
1625047257270.png

I think he was quite chuffed to be winning.

This is an interesting thread. I think it is hard to appreciate that the Tour (like any stage race) is not just one event. There are a multitude of smaller competitions going on aside from GC, which vary from the highly significant - for example the King of the Mountains competition - to the small details, like the intermediate sprints, which may count for bonus seconds in the GC as well as points in the sprint competition.

As I watch sport, I am becoming more and more aware that I understand very little of it!

there's clearly a mega cavalcade of motorised vehicles following the riders to help with repairs (i have actually seen a stage of the tour in kent and the giro in italy) etc - are there support vehicles chucking out more exhaust following the support vehicles in case they break down?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think a good one I was asked a few years back was "if Chris Froome is so great at riding up mountains, why has someone else won the King of the Mountains jersey?"

PK99

Legendary Member
I think a good one I was asked a few years back was "if Chris Froome is so great at riding up mountains, why has someone else won the King of the Mountains jersey?"

That prompts me to wonder how often the Yellow Jersey winner, also wins other Jerseys?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
there's clearly a mega cavalcade of motorised vehicles following the riders to help with repairs (i have actually seen a stage of the tour in kent and the giro in italy) etc - are there support vehicles chucking out more exhaust following the support vehicles in case they break down?
There are an insane amount of vehicles on the road (not to mention in the air) on a Tour stage. Trucks driving around with teams of people putting up/taking down the road closure cones and stuff, the promotional caravan, TV trucks, team buses, an incredible number of tour vehicles doing goodness knows what. Plus zillions of camper vans trundling round in its wake.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are support vehicle support vehicles.

Eco friendly it ain't.

Yup.

And there are hundreds more parked round the country, on call in case of backup.

For the long term, there are actual factories building spares and replacement vehicles. You can spot them as you travel round Europe - enormous buildings, with big car parks and logos like "SKODA" on the side. To help fund the Tour Convoy they sell some vehicles to the public (mainly cycling fans).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What do the riders do for toilet stops, both types?
Amongst that cavalcade of vehicles is there a mobile lav i haven't spotted?

Ah, 'le pause pipi' or going at the side of the road / out of the side of their shorts whilst moving. Both happen :okay:

For the other type, if you're caught short there's likely to be media coverage somewhere.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
big cap there mr trousers.
as a tour nerd you can doubtless supply us with the tally of final race days over the entire history.
The thing about the final stage is that these days it is a sprint stage. So yes it is a competitive race - for the sprinters. On sprint stages - at any point in the race - there is rarely any movement in the General Classification (barring crosswinds, or a spate of crashes like on stage 3 this year).

Normally the GC race leader is secure with a lead by the time the last stage comes so it would be impossible for a rival to do anything about it even if they tried. If a GC rival attacked they would just be marked out - and become extremely unpopular as they would have caused the leader's team to spill their champagne while chasing them down.

Different things do sometimes happen. In 2000-something Vinokourov spoiled the sprinters party by breaking away and winning. In the year that Cadel Evans won I seem to remember there was some competition for the 2nd/3rd spot on GC that day as it was very close (but I could be making that up).

All this is a relatively recent tradition, as the last day hasn't always been on the Champs Élysées. It used to be in a velodrome, and also there have been final day time trials. Witness the famous victory of Greg LeMond over Laurent Fignon in the final day time trial in 1989

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What is the point of a last day which is not a race?
Codswallop - Its the most fiercely contested stage for the last 40k or so, the fact that there is no GC contest and certain traditional / ceremonial aspects, like the champagne toasts for the GC winning team and said team and/or a retiring rider doing the honours on the first pass up the Champs, doesn't diminish the fact that its the stage all the sprinters want to win, and sometimes decides the green Jersey contest.

Top Bottom