Dahon Qix vs Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well - in 40 years of cycling, the only two frames i've ever snapped were both by Dahon...

Like many things in life, it depends on multiple factors, but the whole life cost of a Brompton is likely to be less than the Dahon.
But didn't you previously mention something about being over for the recommenced rider weight?

Last edited:
OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I have noticed two more things today
1. There are plenty of people on the web that say the riding experience of 16" wheels is very poor compared to 20" wheels
2. Dahon sell more folding bikes than anyone else in teh world - this makes me think that 'Kell' saying all Dahon's frames snap is unlikely to be true

12boy

Guru
If I were to buy a folding bike I would ride one first. I bought my Xootr Swift after reading volumes about them but I was already folder savvy from my Brompton and that helped. When I bought the Brompton I also rode a Bike Friday Companion and then the Brompton. Probably would have bought the Bike Friday except the Brompton felt so much better. I have no reason not to believe the Brompton will last for a long time, as it is over 3 years old and I have ridden thousands of miles on it. Gone through several sets of tires, brake pads and chains, nothing else has been an issue except I replaced the headset with a Chris King Gripnut after about a year. Wasn't cheap, but for a quality well made bike it was very inexpensive. I believe in buying durability and quality once and don't need any short life products which need to be replaced. Obviously you will do as you think best and best wishes on whatever you get, but at least ride a Brompton first. Ride the others too, and if you get a used one of whatever you will have a pretty good idea of what shape the used bike is in.

chriscross1966

Über Member
My first Brompton was a second hand M3L, used it for two years, replaced a couple of tyres and a set of brake blocks for each end, plus the saddle as I loathed the not standard one fitted... Paid about 300 for it, sold it for 420 five years ago... Bought an H3L on the C2W and I'd get pretty close to what I paid for it if I wasn't customising it instead of buying a new one. In that time two chains, three sets of brakes, a set of Marathon Plus and a new crank set... That is just maintenance bits on a bike that covers my commute..

Kell

Veteran
But didn't you previously mention something about being over for the recommenced rider weight?

That is true. But I only found that out by accident 'after' they snapped through research online.

And as the weight limit is 95kg and I was at about 96-97 there shouldn't have been a problem.

At no point during the buying process did anyone say to me 'you're too heavy'.

And I didn't ever say that all Dahons snap. I only said that I''be owned two and had two snap.

You came on here asking for advice, and I gave you my opinion - I'm not qualified to give anyone else's - and my opinion is that I wouldn't recommend a Dahon to anyone.

It does seem however that you'd already made your mind up before making the post.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4625166, member: 45"]

And you'll look like a nobber riding one.[/QUOTE]

Don't tell these two...

IMG_6202.JPG

chriscross1966

Über Member
[QUOTE 4625166, member: 45"]The Brompton is the most uncomfortable of all the folding bikes I've owned, hired or ridden.

And you'll look like a nobber riding one.[/QUOTE]

Hah... "uncomfortable"? you know NOTHING... try replacing the standard saddle with the lightest carbon fibre razor weight-weanie special you can find..... then we can talk about uncomfortable :-)... Seriously, I'm giving this thing one more week and if it doesn't get slightly less like you're sitting on the edge of a piece of steel whilst you pedal then, with some regret, I'll bolt back the near 200 gram weight penalty of the standard saddle...

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
That is true. But I only found that out by accident 'after' they snapped through research online.

And as the weight limit is 95kg and I was at about 96-97 there shouldn't have been a problem.

At no point during the buying process did anyone say to me 'you're too heavy'.

And I didn't ever say that all Dahons snap. I only said that I''be owned two and had two snap.

You came on here asking for advice, and I gave you my opinion - I'm not qualified to give anyone else's - and my opinion is that I wouldn't recommend a Dahon to anyone.

It does seem however that you'd already made your mind up before making the post.
you are right that I had pretty much made up my mind before posting, becasue my mind was made up for me by my wallet - however, if everyone rocked up and said, "don't buy a Dahon they are rubbish", then I would have considered the other options

In summary it seems to me that the build quality of the Brompton is excellent and they will last for years and hold their value well. They also fold up nice and small.
The Dahon on the other hand will lose value quickly, is likely to not last for years and folds up less small than a Brompton. On the plus side though for the Dahon, they are half the price of a Brompton and the 20" wheels provide a better ride. You might also look less silly riding a Dahon than a Brompton.

12boy

Guru
Hah... "uncomfortable"? you know NOTHING... try replacing the standard saddle with the lightest carbon fibre razor weight-weanie special you can find..... then we can talk about uncomfortable :-)... Seriously, I'm giving this thing one more week and if it doesn't get slightly less like you're sitting on the edge of a piece of steel whilst you pedal then, with some regret, I'll bolt back the near 200 gram weight penalty of the standard saddle...[/QUOTE
We calls them saddles "ass hatchets". I like Velo Orange saddles a bit better than Brooks as they are a bit cheaper, have longer rails and a better tautening set up, but I don,t think pushing the extra weight is any big thing compared to comfort. As the bible says" be kind to your ass because it bears thee."

chriscross1966

Über Member
Stick a Brooks on it instead of the stock saddle. Absolute bliss! Bouddica came complete with a well broken in Brooks and it has been comfy from the off.

yes, but Henrietta is a weird combination of practicality and weight-weanie... and the standard saddle (let alone a Brooks) weighs tons next to this thing...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you don't need the fold of a Brompton, you don't need a Dahon either.
My Old BSA shopper rides better than my Brompton and is more comfortable. It cost £40. It folds after a fashion. A Raleigh 20 is even better with waaay more kudos and retro-chic if you can find a good one around.
Get an elongated seatpost for £20 and swap the saddle for something of your choice.
Problem solved.
50 mile L2B, no problems.

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

Top Bottom