Dahon Qix vs Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
You might also look less silly riding a Dahon than a Brompton.

I think it's all much of a muchness. I deliberately didn't choose a Brompton when I first got my Dahon because I thought all small wheeled bikes look stupid. Still do. I didn't want a Brompton as I thought they looked old-fashioned with the upright bars and plain colours. And when I hired a Brompton before buying, I had more comments of 'Nice bike mate' thrown at me in a month than in 20 years of commuting.

But having had other folders and test-ridden a fair few more, both cheaper and more expensive, there's nothing that does everything I want any better. I get that the buy in price of the Dahon is half as much as a Brompton, but you could get a little-used Brompton for about htat price.

Plus, if you're buying a 20" wheeled bike because you think it will look cooler than a 16" wheeled bike, then you're viewing it from entirely the wrong standpoint in my humble opinion.

Good luck with it. I hope yours is more reliable than mine were.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I'm not expecting to look cool on any - I don't even look cool on a normal sized bike! I have read more reviews that say a Brompton is less suitable for tall riders and suits riders of 5'9" and smaller - I'm 6'2" - the Dahon Qix says suitable for riders up to 6'4" but I guess I'll be pushing that limit somewhat too?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not expecting to look cool on any - I don't even look cool on a normal sized bike! I have read more reviews that say a Brompton is less suitable for tall riders and suits riders of 5'9" and smaller - I'm 6'2" - the Dahon Qix says suitable for riders up to 6'4" but I guess I'll be pushing that limit somewhat too?
Those reviews are lying. I'm 6', and with an extended seatpost am perfectly comfortable on a Brompton. With a telescopic seatpost the Brompton is suitable for even taller riders.

One of the many weaknesses of Dahon bikes is the adjustable handlebars they use. Unless you have the various screws and levers done up as tight as they will go - more than hand-tight - the handlebars are prone to self-adjust at inopportune moments.

reppans

You just need the extended seat post if you are tall.

I own a '05? Dahon Speed P8 and '16 Brompton M6R. Originally chose the Dahon over the B due to price back then, and still hemmed and hawed over the B's price last year. But now I'm a convert - if I could only have one bicycle (not just folder), it would be the Brompton. So much versatility and neat possibilities with a B that I never considered until actually owning one, and I've owned folders since '91.

For me they both ride well enough, but the Brompton tips the scale "just enough" on: 1) a small/quick/tight/fun fold; 2) easy to carry/roll while folded (rack w/X-Roller); and 3) well integrated/quick-release luggage.... so that I'll take the Brompton almost anywhere, whereas the Dahon tips the scale "just enough" the other way, where I really only use it from the boot of car, and to lock up outside instead of taking it inside with me (this can an advantage or disadvantage). These unique advantages together have been the only thing to rekindled my interests in bicycle touring, which I quit decades ago. For me, the difference is like traveling with a non-wheeled full-sized suitcase + briefcase vs a wheeled carry-on which you can strap your breifcase to - where are you willing to go, and what are willing to do, with either rig?

All that said, in hindsight, I knew I was a folding bike convert back in the 90's so I should have coughed up for the B in '05 - I missed a decade of good utility, and ended up with one anyway. You, however, are different in that you don't know if folders are for you - and I agree that certainly makes it tougher to buy into the top the market. But good luck with your decision.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
.... because I thought all small wheeled bikes look stupid. Still do. .

anabpatist (1).jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You just need the extended seat post if you are tall.

I own a '05? Dahon Speed P8 and '16 Brompton M6R. Originally chose the Dahon over the B due to price back then, and still hemmed and hawed over the B's price last year. But now I'm a convert - if I could only have one bicycle (not just folder), it would be the Brompton. So much versatility and neat possibilities with a B that I never considered until actually owning one, and I've owned folders since '91.

For me they both ride well enough, but the Brompton tips the scale "just enough" on: 1) a small/quick/tight/fun fold; 2) easy to carry/roll while folded (rack w/X-Roller); and 3) well integrated/quick-release luggage.... so that I'll take the Brompton almost anywhere, whereas the Dahon tips the scale "just enough" the other way, where I really only use it from the boot of car, and to lock up outside instead of taking it inside with me (this can an advantage or disadvantage). These unique advantages together have been the only thing to rekindled my interests in bicycle touring, which I quit decades ago. For me, the difference is like traveling with a non-wheeled full-sized suitcase + briefcase vs a wheeled carry-on which you can strap your breifcase to - where are you willing to go, and what are willing to do, with either rig?

All that said, in hindsight, I knew I was a folding bike convert back in the 90's so I should have coughed up for the B in '05 - I missed a decade of good utility, and ended up with one anyway. You, however, are different in that you don't know if folders are for you - and I agree that certainly makes it tougher to buy into the top the market. But good luck with your decision.
I have 9 assorted fab bikes including my custom Rourke, but if the garage were on fire, the Brompton would be the first I'd rescue. In terms of useability it far more exceeds the others. And for touring it's fabulous!

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
after all the comments and all the research I'd probably go for the Brompton, but the fact that the Dahon is £500 less is still going to be a deciding factor, becaSUE i SIMPLY DON'T HAVE £1000+ - if I were to opt for the Brompton I'd need to wait another 12 months before purchasing

If I like the folding bike thing then perhaps I upgrade to a Brommie in a few years time

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of the many weaknesses of Dahon bikes is the adjustable handlebars they use. Unless you have the various screws and levers done up as tight as they will go - more than hand-tight - the handlebars are prone to self-adjust at inopportune moments.
Not found that, but mine has only one qr lever. I don't like them being custom bars because I've broken handlebars on other bikes, but I've not found any problem with them staying where I put them, even when I've hung bags from them.

reppans

Not found that, but mine has only one qr lever. I don't like them being custom bars because I've broken handlebars on other bikes, but I've not found any problem with them staying where I put them, even when I've hung bags from them.

Mine has 2 QR levers, and it does shift. Not dangerous since its movement is guided in a slotted housing, it's just annoying and the one thing that makes it feel cheap/loose.

StuartG

slower but further
I was ridiculed when I bought my Brompton in 2006 (AFAIR £600). But its been to the Med, done imperial centuries, done Welsh mountains and wheeled it (folded) around my local co-op. No Dahon can do that. In eleven years I've only had one jobsworth stopping me taking it where I want. I've had two new tyres and a chain or two.

The only valid excuse (IMHO) for not choosing a Brommie is you don't have the readies. If you do then financially, technically and just plain fun the Brommie has it. Well the financial is a bit suspect as you only get most of your original investment back if you sell it. The reason the resale price is so high is that most Brommie owners would sell their souls first.

Yes you do look a prat to others but do Brommie riders care?

Kell

Veteran
after all the comments and all the research I'd probably go for the Brompton, but the fact that the Dahon is £500 less is still going to be a deciding factor, becaSUE i SIMPLY DON'T HAVE £1000+ - if I were to opt for the Brompton I'd need to wait another 12 months before purchasing

If I like the folding bike thing then perhaps I upgrade to a Brommie in a few years time

It's a fair enough comment.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I have made 2 important decisions today (just before pulling the trigger on a Dahon Qix)
1. I need to test ride a Brompton
2. If the Brompton really is that good, I should wait 6+ months and save the extra £500 - in the long run it will be worth it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was ridiculed when I bought my Brompton in 2006 (AFAIR £600). But its been to the Med, done imperial centuries, done Welsh mountains and wheeled it (folded) around my local co-op. No Dahon can do that.
Go home - you're drunk! ;) My Dahon's been around a local co-op (it's still basically wheelchair tyres, after all) and the only reason it's not done the others is that I've not been to the Welsh mountains since getting it, I usually hire on holiday (less worry when travelling IMO) and the imperial centuries I've done have started near enough home that I've ridden my full-size bikes which have handlebars with more hand positions.

1. I need to test ride a Brompton
www.BromptonBikeHire.com ?

Top Bottom