Dahon Qix vs Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex89

The Qix looks a nice bike but what really justifies the price over other 8 speed derailleur based folding bikes? Is it just the vertical folding?

To be honest if I'm spending that much money I'd really want hub gearing. A derailleur is not ideal when so close to the ground getting covered in dirt and mud and more likely to get damaged, hit kerbs etc and need more maintenance. Normal size derailleurs always look like a compromise on small bikes but at the Qix price you shouldn't really be dealing with such compromises.

Also what the hell is dalloy tubing?

http://dahon.com/bikes/qix-d8-2/

Just seems like marketing b**lsh*t combining the word Dahon with alloy in order to sound innovative. I totally understand people not going for the more expensive Brompton but don't understand so much why you would pay extra for the Dahon over many competing 8 speed folding bikes of a similar quality at much lower prices. Many of which have higher load capacities and better components or better value for the same components.

Also the hinge on the frame. The standard design hinges horizontally because that gives the hinge the greatest surface area to weld to the tubing. It's the most logical design for strength. The vertical fold has the hinge on the thin section of the tube surely the weakest design. Just seems like a design most likely to fail and maybe innovation with a quality and safety sacrifice? Why hasn't anyone done this before well the answer to that seems obvious looking at the Qix. I can see on face value it may look safer having the hinge at the bottom to prevent the frame from collapsing if it becomes loose but beyond that for long term reliability and strength doesn't look so good in my opinion.
I don't know what Dalloy is and I don't care. I only know that I fold my bike in 1 sec and it rolls nice once folded. It's light, it's very fast and riding it is a pleasure. I bought it at 630€, a tern link D8 comes at the same price and its folding mechanism is not even close to be as handy as the qix's one. I am not the engineer who designed the bike and I can't say about how long the frame will last, but it looks well done and sturdy to me. I understand B is a status symbol and it's probably good to ride, but complaining about a 700€-bike labelling it as expensive once it comes with great quality good folding and 8 gears looks inconsistent to me, especially if the labelling comes from a B.'s owner.

mm Alex - I wouldn't dismiss the Brompton as a status symbol.

It's a tough as a tank bit of good old fashioned engineering.

Mine has been used a lot for stashing under a Lidl/Aldi shopping trolley.

I care nowt for status - in fact I have been mocked by one or two folk for my Brommie.

By folk who know nowt about bikes.

Or care too much for status.

Kell

Veteran
Yeah I must admit, I don't see a Brompton as a status symbol.

They may be more expensive than (most) Dahons, but they're far from the most expensive folders out there. Birdys and Airnimals to name two...

I was chatting to one of the guys on my train as he's just got rid of his Ori bike (due to problems with non-standard parts and availability) and gone to a Birdy. It looks great, has a derailleur and disc brakes (sorely lacking from Bromptons IMO). But it doesn't fold as well and had to propped up or leaned against something in the train. And when I checked out the price online it was over £2,000 - more than double what I paid for my Brompton.

It's very lazy for people to see Brompton owners as unoriginal or interested in status. I owned three other folding bikes before getting my Brompton because I didn't want the default choice. But I wasted about £2,000 in bikes which snapped and I ended up junking. Should have got a Brompton in the first place.

Oh - and both my Dahons rode really well.

Until they started falling apart.

Last edited:
Yep my dahon (speed pro) is very wobbly without lots of care.

Ffs, ever had a bike where the lever on the quick release bent in your hand and broke?

The brommie will be 20 years old in a while - never been any trouble, needed very little maintenance. Has outrun savage dogs on sardinian dirt tracks. If i'd been on the dahon, fun as it is, i'd be mincemeat. It's paid for itself i'm sure with all its economy shopping trips.

Top Bottom