Daily Fail stiring up cyclist hate yet again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Won't that be offset by the thousands of people we mow down on the pavement each year?

That's only the odd sprained wrist for a ped :whistle:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 4671501, member: 9609"]not quite understanding you - are you saying cycling on the pavements is exponentially saving more cyclists being killed and injured on the road than the pedestrians the cyclists are killing and injuring on the path?

If cycling on the road is too dangerous then that needs to be addressed, we can't start cycling on the pavements and say better an injured ped than an injured cyclist.[/QUOTE]

I was commenting that focusing on a few cyclists who ride like nutters on a pavement is a little bit crazy, when although it is anti-social the deaths are caused by motorists. Therefore, the author should focus his attention on the motorists (ideally the farkwitts) and not on cyclists. Cycling a whole is provides many health benefits compared to not cycling, so therefore should be encouraged not discouraged.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
As always with a Hate Mail thread I post a link to one of the story generators on the web. This time, I fire one up and it comes up with this.

WILL CYCLISTS CHEAT THE MIDDLE CLASS?
The horror of Broken Britain continues this week.

First we learn that fighting the police is becoming ever more common, then we learn that homosexuals are binge drinking every day.

Among the hardworking Britons to attack homosexuals binge drinking was Paul Dacre who today said these dole-scrounging n’er-do-wells must be eliminated at all costs.
So, the crayon-wielding hack can't even compete with a basic Perl script.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Oxford can be a nightmare of bike lanes swapping on and off of pavements and road-side strips, compounded by pedestrians lane discipline being woeful in the bits where they've put a line down the pavement. I've had as many near misses with pedestrians swapping lanes in front of me as I've had cars not giving enough space when passing... The only red light I ever jump is on a junction near where I live where you can easily see both ways and I will have stopped... as far as I can tell the pressure sensor doesn't notice even a chunky bump like me on a bike so once I've sat there for 30 seconds or so at 10pm I will check both ways and if clear, then I will press on...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Let's not let the dm win.

Here's the text so you don't have to support them by visiting the site

PS I didn't actually read it :rolleyes:

It's a bit naughty, not to mention a breach of copyright, to cut and paste the full article.

Whatever you think of the Daily Mail and its staff, they are entitled to protection of their intellectual property in the same way as any other author or publisher.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...news/article-4197968/Is-safe-Lycra-louts.html

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
"Unlike motorists bikers don't pay road tax, so they can just ride away after a crash if they want"

I fail to see any logic or reasoning in the whole article.

spen666

Legendary Member
So you have now shared the news of 2 cyclists' deaths in the politics ghetto and in a thread hating on the DM, rather than where it belongs in general or advocacy groups where someone might see it?

Great. You should be proud.
Grow up

spen666

Legendary Member
Yes, wanting to know things that directly affect my safety is very juvenile.

So why try to deflect the thread like a pathetic little child who is sulking.

In case it had slipped your attention, or you could not understand the long words I used.

I was commenting on the timing of the article in the newspaper blaming cyclists for dangers on the raod when the facts are very different and proved by recent stories.

Still if you want to divert the thread like a pathetic little spoilt child, then go ahead.

I am just suggesting that if you read something about cyclists dying in London, you share it where you think it may do some good, rather than using it to make smug points against the daily mail.

The incidents you refer to have not been posted on CC except by you. I might have hoped they would have be disseminated more widely so that road users in London could be aware. I thought that the deaths of two women are more important than taking impotent shots against the daily mail.

But go on, making your smug points rather than trying to help or inform others. I won't see any more of them.

Top Bottom