Daily Mail anti-cycling headline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
nothing new under the sun.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I'm not going to click the link in order to judge the journalism as they will somehow monetise the click. But I suspect it's scarily close to this at dmhq.

Boss: Ok anti-cyclist team. Things are starting to flag. These dead people. We need names.... We need photos. It would really help if at least one of them was female and attractive.

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
To be fair, I have no problem with the law being improved to deal with errant or irresponsible cyclists, if current law isn't effective. I think there is some merit in the argument for third party insurance, although how you enforce it, is another matter. I have insurance via membership of Cycling UK, but I don't fancy wearing a sandwich board with number plates either side (how else would they be displayed?) and the cyclist road tax argument is easily knocked back.

However, the Daily Heil's grossly unbalanced, sensationalist line gets on my wick.

A stereotypical anti-cycling bullet often fired our way is that "they all ignore red lights" but as I said to a non-cyclist mate who recently complained to me about this, my belief is that it's the minority getting the majority a bad name, I don't RLJ, but in any event if you have ever jumped a red light whilst driving a car, or exceeded the speed limit, failed to conform to a traffic sign, parked on the pavement, or driven after consuming alcohol even within the legal limit, you are taking a far greater risk with the safety of others than a cyclist doing the same, so wind your neck in and get a bit of proportion please. He took a sip of his pint, looked at me, and said, "fair point".

User269

Post facts and comments on the Daily Mail website. Write to your MP urging something be done about the considerably greater number of pedestrians killed or seriously injured by motor vehicles, and the promotion of hatred and agressive driving (Brexit vote saw a rise in racial abuse for example) caused by the anti-cycling hysteria in sections of the press. I just have.
I wonder if we'll see anything from Cycling UK on this?

User269

A stereotypical anti-cycling bullet often fired our way is that "they all ignore red lights" but as I said to a non-cyclist mate who recently complained to me about this, my belief is that it's the minority getting the majority a bad name, I don't RLJ, but in any event if you have ever jumped a red light whilst driving a car, or exceeded the speed limit, failed to conform to a traffic sign, parked on the pavement, or driven after consuming alcohol even within the legal limit, you are taking a far greater risk with the safety of others than a cyclist doing the same, so wind your neck in and get a bit of proportion please. He took a sip of his pint, looked at me, and said, "fair point".

Key facts:

·In London (1998-2007), just 4% of reported pedestrian injuries due to red-light-jumping involved cyclists - the other 96% were hit by red-light-jumping motor vehicles.

Cyclists aren't the problem. I'm sick of idiot non cyclists bleating on about RLJs, pedestrians killed or seriously injured. It's perfectly clear where the problem lies.

Top Bottom