England : North Yorkshire Dales forum ride, 7th July, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Glad to hear that you are riding again!

Brian and I are planning to do a modified rerun of our recent Wray century ride. That will be starting and finishing at Rose Grove station (Burnley) and will be in a couple of months time. Perhaps you could make it to that one?
Defiantly up for that Colin,even after only five weeks out of the saddle,i did feel it a tad today ! I hope to be back on form very soon especially with all this amazing weather to ride in

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, the day of this splendid ride is rapidly approaching ...

(Despite the risk of now invoking fearsome thunderstorms (:whistle:), I will nevertheless point out that ...) We have laid on spectacularly nice weather for the whole day - be there, or be, er, not as exhausted but happy as you would be if you had made the effort to join us! If you don't feel up to the whole thing, do what @Pale Rider is doing and join us for half the ride?

Fortunately, the rear tyre on my bike failed a couple of days ago and NOT in the middle of the Dales!

Bulging worn tyre.jpg

That has now been replaced but I think that I will carry a spare for the front, which is at least 50% worn. @tubbycyclist had a tyre fail on the first edition of the ride and had to abandon. It is probably a good idea for there to be a spare between us, just in case.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My lift TO the ride has been organised. The car is fairly small so I had a go at putting the bike in it yesterday to make sure that it fits. There will be 3 adults and a dog in the car so one rear seat has to stay up. I couldn't get the bike in without taking both wheels off and even then it is a fairly tight squeeze. It would be easier if I could lower the saddle for the journey but I made the silly mistake of not putting anti-corrosive compound in the aluminium frame before inserting the titanium seatpost - it has now corroded in place and I dare not put enough force in to shift it, in case I wreck the frame.

@colly - have you decided to join us? If you are coming along, could I be cheeky and hitch a lift back with you to either Bradford Interchange or Leeds station? (I can catch the train from Ribblehead but the one at 17:45 might be a bit too early and the next one is not until 19:48.)

So, it is last call for this ride!

Meet in front of the Station Inn, Ribblehead, 09:20ish and aim to set off at 09:30. One stop at Tan Hill Tavern, halfway round.

Riding the full route:

Mid-section only:
  • @Pale Rider
  • @oldfatfool????
  • (Anybody else fancying doing a shorter ride, please discuss it with Pale Rider.)

Last edited:
I take it that Carrie and Kevin are still coming too, Colin?

As to the timing re the 1745 train from Ribblehead: I think you have a decent chance of making that, subject to how long we stop at the Tan Hill Inn.

And thanks for over-catering with the weather too. None of this 'just about OK for that day only' stuff this time round - I prefer the 'weeks of fine weather' or blunderbuss approach :-) Even the wind speed on Saturday is showing as my idea of optimal, meaning less than 10mph but not zero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I take it that Carrie and Kevin are still coming too, Colin?
Yes, indeed. I had forgotten to add their names - I just trawled through this thread to remind myself who was coming, but of course they don't post here!

Carrie is hanging about in the UK just for this ride. She is off on Sunday to tour some bits of France and watch the TdF whenever she happens to be in the same area at the same. She also intends to tackle some of the big climbs that the pros will be doing this year.

As to the timing re the 1745 train from Ribblehead: I think you have a decent chance of making that, subject to how long we stop at the Tan Hill Inn.
Yes, it should be possible, but I have a history of getting slower and slower on hot, hilly rides, so we'll see! I'd prefer to keep the stop down to 30 minutes or so, but they have a habit of drifting out towards an hour!

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I am doing a MTBO event from Ingleton on Saturday, Ribblehead is on the map, you should be long gone before I get up there and if I catch you on the way back I am in trouble, its a 5 hour event starts between 10:00 and 11: 00 is part of the Overground /Underground festival.

http://www.ogug.co.uk/

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
My lift TO the ride has been organised. The car is fairly small so I had a go at putting the bike in it yesterday to make sure that it fits. There will be 3 adults and a dog in the car so one rear seat has to stay up. I couldn't get the bike in without taking both wheels off and even then it is a fairly tight squeeze. It would be easier if I could lower the saddle for the journey but I made the silly mistake of not putting anti-corrosive compound in the aluminium frame before inserting the titanium seatpost - it has now corroded in place and I dare not put enough force in to shift it, in case I wreck the frame.

@colly - have you decided to join us? If you are coming along, could I be cheeky and hitch a lift back with you to either Bradford Interchange or Leeds station? (I can catch the train from Ribblehead but the one at 17:45 might be a bit too early and the next one is not until 19:48.)

So, it is last call for this ride!

Meet in front of the Station Inn, Ribblehead, 09:20ish and aim to set off at 09:30. One stop at Tan Hill Tavern, halfway round.

Riding the full route:

Mid-section only:
  • @Pale Rider
  • @oldfatfool????
  • (Anybody else fancying doing a shorter ride, please discuss it with Pale Rider.)
Hi Colin,

Iv'e been holding off on this because after last weekend I developed a sore throat and a bit of a congested chest. Which was probably why I suffered while out riding last weekend.
However the throat is pretty much ok now and the chest is too. :okay:

Another however,:sad: I was out about an hour ago delivering some work and the car cut out at the lights. It was coaxed into life again after a couple of mins but did hesitate again while running. No idea what it is tbh and it's had work done to sort it before but obviously it wasn't successful.

Sooooooooooooo. Assuming the car behaves itself and assuming I carry on feeling OK I should be ok for Saturday. Not a very positive message really because things might fall apart at the last min.

Of course I'll be happy to give you a lift Colin.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
Well, I hope that you continue to improve and that your car does too! (I don't think that I ever saw you in a car, it was always in your van.)

Let's hope that we see you on Saturday, but if not, on another ride soon. (@Julia9054's Knaresborough ride is 2 weeks on Saturday and is much closer to home for you.)
Can't do this ride as I am stuck in a recording studio all weekend but you have reminded me that I need to bump my own thread in case anyone else wants to come.

colly

Re member eR
Well, I hope that you continue to improve and that your car does too! (I don't think that I ever saw you in a car, it was always in your van.)

Let's hope that we see you on Saturday, but if not, on another ride soon. (@Julia9054's Knaresborough ride is 2 weeks on Saturday and is much closer to home for you.)
Yep. The van went last weekend.
I've had a van for 35 years so its sort of odd being without.
Thing is, if l keep it ill always be picking up work. Now l can't even if l want to.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Can't do this ride as I am stuck in a recording studio all weekend but you have reminded me that I need to bump my own thread in case anyone else wants to come.
I beat you to it! :okay:

Yep. The van went last weekend.
I've had a van for 35 years so its sort of odd being without.
Thing is, if l keep it ill always be picking up work. Now l can't even if l want to.
Does that mean that you have officially retired then? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is so tempting to go out in the sunshine and get a ride in today but I want to save my energy for tomorrow! Instead, I'll take my bike out into the sunshine to clean it and check for any potential mechanical issues.

I'm going to use the Etrex Legend HCX GPS that @Oldfentiger was kind enough to donate to me. I shouldn't need a navigational aid tomorrow so it will be a good time to test it. I think I will just about get the full ride in on one set of batteries. I will have to use the backlight on the GPS when the sun is behind me and I am casting a shadow on its screen. If I switch the backlight off when the sun is reflecting off the screen, I think a pair of freshly-charged NiMH cells will last longer than the 8-9 hours that the ride should take.

The last few hours of the ride should be on very quiet roads because of the England vs Sweden game!

Pizza and the start of the Tour de France to look forward to when I get home ... It should be a great day.

See y'all in the morning. :hello:

PS Anybody lurking and thinking about joining us - do it - the Dales rides are always fabulous! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry for the late bale out chaps ...gonna be in the lakes this weekend with SWMBO. Given the weather you're deffo going to have a superb day.
Oh no! :sad:

Mind you, the Lakes should be excellent, so you have fun too. And make sure that you get out in the afternoon to take advantage of those football-depleted roads ...

(Come on Julia and Al's Knaresborough ride instead on the 21st? :whistle:)

Top Bottom