England : North Yorkshire Dales forum ride, 7th July, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just got in (22:02) with pizza. Will shower before eating it and do a longer post tomorrow.

Another fine forum ride, Colin. Thanks for organising. I added on an unnecessary 25km returning from Ribblehead to make it an imperial century.

Surprised you, Carrie and Kevin didn't pass me on the road to Settle before I turned off at Hebden Bridge. I hope you got your bike in the vehicle OK and duly secured your lift home?
Well done on the imperial century. You must be pretty tired now? So tired that you confuse 'Helwith Bridge' and 'Hebden Bridge'! :okay:

We didn't leave in a hurry. Kevin eventually dropped me off at the top of the Keighley Road (Cock Hill) so I had a 7.5 km descent, ordered pizza, 7.5 km flat ride to pick it up, home. 127 km total for me today and about 2,300 m of climbing.

Last edited:
So tired that you confuse 'Helwith Bridge' and 'Hebden Bridge'!
I also confuse Helwith Bridge with Halton Gill on a regular basis, even when not tired, and those are less similar, so I'll go with 'that's normal' :-) Oh, there's Arncliffe and Arnside too - the former is not on the coast, whereas the latter is. My legs are OK; tired from the 0600 start though - very much *not* a time when I'm normally awake, that.

Good result on the hill-top drop-off :okay: I look forward to your opus on the ride.

colly

Re member eR
Looking forward to reading about your ride too.:okay:

My afternoon was spent waiting in a garage workshop in Heckmondwike.:sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My afternoon was spent waiting in a garage workshop in Heckmondwike.:sad:
Oh dear ... I hope that you got the car fixed, and that it was not too expensive!

I look forward to your opus on the ride.

Looking forward to reading about your ride too.:okay:
Well, if you insist ... :whistle:

We had great weather for the ride. In a perfect world, I would say that it actually became slightly too hot and slightly too windy, but considering the super-long winter we've been through a few months ago and how bad the weather became on last year's ride, I'm not going to complain about getting sweaty and tired!

I had managed to arrange a lift to Ribblehead and got there on time, just before @Sea of vapours arrived. Soon after that there was an unexpected guest appearance by @oldfatfool - he had previously expressed interest in joining us but had spent hours booking his mum into hospital the night before so we didn't think he would make it. My non-CycleChat pals Carrie and Kevin had parked some distance away and rode to the pub to meet us. (There was a British Heart Foundation charity walk taking place so even at that time in the morning there were a lot of vehicles parked up there.)

We had a quick chat and then set off at about 09:40. After only a few kms up the climb to Newby Head, oldfatfool stopped to make a call to the hospital. SoV and I waited at the turn down to Dentdale while Carrie and Kevin went on. After a while, o.f.f. texted me to say that he had better not continue, making it probably the shortest participation ever in any of my rides. I hope your mum is alright, Andrew?

I set off with SoV in pursuit of Carrie and Kevin. We found Kevin at the foot of the steep climb up the Coal Road past Dent Station. IIRC, Carrie had made the first of her 'bids for freedom'. She disappeared off up many climbs during the day. It wouldn't have worried me too much, except for the fact that she has a habit of getting lost when she does so!

The Coal Road used to have a really horrid surface but it has recently been sorted out. It was never much of a problem on the way up, but it certainly used to be when doing the very fast descent at the other end of the road down to Garsdale Head. I enjoyed the descent this time, with no potholes to worry about. I think that there were a few patches of gravel but for most of the descent there is a good view of the road ahead so one can see any hazards in good time.

We regathered on the A684 at Garsdale Head and headed about 1 km NE to the Moorcock Inn. We turned left there on a road which was new to me - the B6259. I had looked at it on the OS map a few times in the past and always assumed that it would be one of those narrow B-roads with quite a lot of traffic on it, and therefore one to be avoided. In fact, it was very nice indeed - very scenic, with only light traffic. SoV told me that is normal for that road. I will use it again in the future!

We arrived at the village of Nateby where we stopped for a short break before tackling the hard climb of Birkdale Common. My photos taken on the ride were not that brilliant and there were not that many of them. I really need to get a small bar/top tube bag to put my camera in for rides like that one. I really don't want to keep stopping to fish my phone out of my backpack to take pictures. Anyway, here are a few from Nateby ...

Nateby in the sunshine, with distant hills
Nateby village in sunshine.jpg

The big hills of Birkdale Common, from Nateby
From Nateby up to Birkdale Common.jpg

Note to council: Move to TOP of steep hill!
Defibrillator in Nateby.jpg

After our snacks (I just ate a small oat bar), we set off up the climb. We encountered another rider and I chatted to him on the way up, while the other 3 went on ahead. The climb is a brute in places. It didn't help that the full heat of the sun was beating down on us by then, and was being re-radiated back up at us from the road surface. Hot, hot, hot!

SoV awaited me at the summit, my pals had gone ahead.

A quick descent to Swaledale, where Kevin was waiting and then immediately a left turn up another vicious gradient. Carrie, of course, had gone off ahead ... We worked our way up the climb and found her waiting at our main stop of the day, the Tan Hill Inn. It seemed like about 300 other people had had the same plan. The pub is in a perfect location, but it was too busy for my tastes. SoV treated me to a very refreshing pint of cold Coke and I ate my second oat bar. Carrie drank a small amount of shandy, which seemed to go to her head! It didn't seem possible, but I don't think she was putting it on. She is tiny, doesn't drink much booze, and was probably a bit dehydrated, that might explain it. It concerned me because you really need your wits about you on a route like that.

Soon, we set off on our descent of Arkengarthdale, briefly interrupted by the small ford at Beck Crooks Bridge. There was a 'Close Encounter of the Sheepy Kind' some time after that. It might have been on the next summit; I can't quite remember - after the sun frazzling my brain for several hours, over numerous Dales peaks, in the company of hundreds of roadside Swaledale sheep, it is hard to remember which one of the daft woolly creatures decided that it would be a good idea to run into a (sheep-size + 50 cm) gap between Carrie's back wheel and my front wheel. Size really does matter - a slightly bigger sheep, or a slightly smaller gap and I could have been rolling about on the road with a cracked pelvis and/or a pretzelled wheel!

It had been so good to escape from relentless, hot, steep Dales climbs for (what seemed like!) about 57 seconds, but then Mike's route inflicted another one of the damn things upon us ... :laugh:

'Reeth Low Moor' - it has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? It is a moor and it is near Reeth. It was the 'low' bit that I had problems with ... In UK terms, since when is an elevation of 427 metres (1,400 ft) 'low'? :wacko: (I suppose, given that we had already gone over summits at 538 m, 513 m, and 534 m AND we had another big b*st*rd lying in wait round the corner for us ... yes, it was low! :smile:) A rapid descent to Healaugh and then ... Hang on, I've just realised that Yorkshiremen do have a sense of humour after all! 'Healaugh' is derived from 'He's having a laugh', as in much amusement at the village inn after sending unsuspecting Lancastrians and other 'foreigners' up Fleak Moss!

'Fleak Moss' - what can you say about that climb ...? My suggestions include:
  • There should be defibrillators stationed every km up the climb!
  • Avoid at all costs
  • Send unfit people that you don't like up there
  • Not for use during thunderstorms
  • Time to consider finally treating yourself to that Pinarello Nytro
Well, at least I got up it without walking this time! It took me a long time and it half-killed me, but walk I did not.

Here are a few photos during the recovery on the summit:

Facing north
View North from Fleak Moss.jpg

Facing south
View South from Fleak Moss.jpg

Fellow masochists (L-R SoV, Kevin, Carrie; weird colours thanks to iffy HDR mode on phone!)
SoV Kevin and Carrie atop Fleak Moss.jpg

'Fleak Moss' - what can you say about that descent ...? My suggestions include:
  • Defibrillators won't help if you crash going down there!
  • Avoid at all costs
  • Send people that you don't like down there
  • Not for use during thunderstorms
  • Now test your brakes
We survived! My back muscles were in knots by then, but at least we then had an easy ride from Askrigg to Apersett. Unlike last year, we wouldn't have a headwind this time round. Except, we did! I was a spent force. I think that 2 little oat bars were not enough food for that ride, and I hadn't even drunk enough of my carbo-drink because it was really warm and tasted yucky. The others kept pulling away from me, then waiting. then pulling away ...

Eventually, we had made our way to the last climb of the day, back up the B6255 to Newby Head, before an 'easy' descent to Ribblehead. SoV chirply remarked that it was 'only' another 6 kms and it was an 'easy' climb. About 3% gradient, yeah, okay - BUT I WAS STRUGGLING ON THE FLAT BY THEN :blink:!

They went on their way and I limped up behind them. My warfarin alarm went off, and that gave me a good excuse to get off the bike for a couple of minutes. I swallowed my rat poison, stretched my back, and set off again. After what seemed like hours, I got towards the summit as SoV was coming back down to check on me. He u-turned and announced that I would need to draft him down to Ribblehead because a headwind had picked up. Pah, downhill is something I can do, even when knackered ... Er, except in this case - give me that draft, boy!

I couldn't believe how long it took to get down from where we had turned off earlier in the day. It hadn't seemed much of a climb when fresh but it seemed an interminable descent into that wind!

At long last, we got to Kevin's campervan. SoV stayed and chatted a while and finally went on his way.

It was such a contrast being up there this year, compared to last. Last year there was an awful storm lashing us. Vehicles were throwing up massive rooster-tails of spray and had their headlights on. This time, brilliant sunshine.

Kevin had offered me a lift some of the way home so I didn't have to hang about for an hour for the next train and then spend 2.5 hours going home via Leeds. I got taken to the Cock Hill summit above Hebden Bridge, which gave me a lovely 7.5 km descent to the town. I stopped to phone a pizza order through to my local takeway in Todmorden and then did an easy 7.5 km ride back along the Calder Valley to pick it up.

So, that's yer lot - a very hard but rewarding ride in beautiful scenery, with great weather and fine cycling companions. We'll be doing something something similar next year. Pencil in the first couple of Saturdays in July if you fancy joining us, and start training now!

PS Oh, one last thing ... You know that people say that cheap sunblock doesn't work, and that you need to reapply sunblock every hour or so? Well, I burn easily and I had inadvertently turned myself into a sun exposure guineapig. Ladies and gentlemen, I humbly present 'Mysteriously shaped sunburn man'. Or, one of his 2 mysteriously burned legs ...

Sunburn leg.jpg

I have the same triangular burn on both legs. At first, I couldn't understand how it had happened so I replicated my pre-ride sunblock application. I realised that I apply the cream in a diagonal upward motion of my hand. I must have done it in both directions but missed a patch on both legs because I hadn't gone along the 'sock line', the top of the sock causing the straight line at the bottom of the burn. You can see that the rest of the leg is fine so the sunblock did its job. (The freckling is historic.)

I might get away without the burns blistering, but they are both tender today.

A most impressively comprehensive write-up, Colin!

I think there actually is a defibrillator at Tan Hill Inn, by the entrance, though I also think it claimed to be 'not in service', or something equally odd, when I was there a couple of weeks earlier.The pub' was rather better during the week when there were about ten people there rather than well over a hundred as on Saturday. Nonetheless, a great location for a pub and very helpful for that route.

The errant sheep incident was just after the left turn to Healaugh, coming down off Reeth Low Moor, also just after the demonstration of fords being slippery even when almost dry, and before the demonstration of deep gravel on bends being definitely slippery - an eventful ten minutes, that bit. Oh, the ford is at Fore Gill Gate by the way - only mentioning it in case, for future reference, you recall a ford on the way down from Tan Hill; there isn't, it's on the rather fine corner-cutting road across Turf Moor / Reeth Low Moor (NY 99270 00870).

Again - a fine day's riding and glad you liked the route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ yes she is fine thanks, ended up driving home and spending 6 hours at the hospital were they finally decided to operate on a long standing hernia.
That's good. I hope the operation and recovery are trouble-free!

I think there actually is a defibrillator at Tan Hill Inn, by the entrance, though I also think it claimed to be 'not in service', or something equally odd, when I was there a couple of weeks earlier.The pub' was rather better during the week when there were about ten people there rather than well over a hundred as on Saturday. Nonetheless, a great location for a pub and very helpful for that route.
Yes, it is a great location and I could see why so many people were there on Saturday. I just don't enjoy crowds ...

The errant sheep incident was just after the left turn to Healaugh, coming down off Reeth Low Moor, also just after the demonstration of fords being slippery even when almost dry, and before the demonstration of deep gravel on bends being definitely slippery - an eventful ten minutes, that bit. Oh, the ford is at Fore Gill Gate by the way - only mentioning it in case, for future reference, you recall a ford on the way down from Tan Hill; there isn't, it's on the rather fine corner-cutting road across Turf Moor / Reeth Low Moor (NY 99270 00870).

Again - a fine day's riding and glad you liked the route.
I confess that some details of the route had become a bit of a blur! I followed the route on the OS map and found a ford marked at Beck Crooks Bridge so I assumed that was it, since we only crossed one. There was probably one at Beck Crooks Bridge in the past. Perhaps the 'bridge' replaced it?

I did write a passage about certain people doing inadvisable things at the ford (:okay:), but when I reread it before posting I realised that it came across as being a bit harsh. I didn't want to be criticising pals online so I deleted it.

I had forgotten Kevin's crash on the gravelly descent. Yes, it was a bit sketchy. He was lucky to get away with a few scrapes!

I don't imagine that we will be blasted by that much heat too often in the future, but wearing cooler clothing, losing a few more kgs of flab, and stopping carrying a bag on my back would help me suffer less. I think the main problem that I had was my back/core muscles not being up to the job. My legs and cardiovascular system held up pretty well. Eating and drinking more on hard rides would help too ... :whistle:

Last edited:
Looks, on the OS map, as if the ford near pt.388 is on the track heading south off the road (a track whose primary purpose seems to be to create a string of fords whilst going nowhere in particular).

That gravel at the bottom of the lane to Healaugh was deep - you could achieve that effect by emptying a couple of wheelbarrow loads of gravel out in the middle of the road :-\
stopping carrying a bag on my back would help me suffer less
I'm confident of the truth in that !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pleased to read the positive reports, although Kevin falling off is unfortunate.

I've never been to the Tan Hill Inn - reports one hears are usually mixed.

Quite hard to make a living up there, being rammed on a July Saturday doesn't make up for the long winter months when only one man and his dog passes by.

I got out on the bike on Sunday but had a few problems with a leaking rear tubeless tyre.

Probably a good thing I couldn't make this ride, because prattting around with the tyre would have been an inconvenience to the group.

It was a very minor fall at low speed. More a case of sinking into the gravel and toppling over than loss of traction.

We certainly weren't awash with spare time. The Ribblehead to Ribblehead section was just over nine hours elapsed. That said, fine in the middle of summer :-) Good luck with the rear tyre sealing properly.

Top Bottom