Dam Pot holes !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I reported a pot hole in my street this time last week to South Cambs council.

I was impressed this morning as I rode by, it’s been filled in! Rapid.
South Cambs probably didn't do anything except maybe pass it on. Highways are a Cambs county council responsibility.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I hit a pothole in my mini once and shorly afterwards the steering was rough with a grinding noise being transmitted up the steering column. I don’t know for sure if the 2 things were connected but the steering was expensive to fix. I also hit a pothole on my bike once and ended up with a prolapsed disc. :-(

Jody

Stubborn git
And watch the road more closely next time?

Unless the pot hole is filled with water and then you can't tell its there. One local hole litterally ripped a couple of peoples wheel/suspension apart. They had no idea it was there

Reactions: mjr
I report them on www.fixMyStreet.com because the three local county councils hide the reports if you use their tools directly, then later victims of the potholes find it harder to prove the defect had already been reported. As well as them playing pass the buck near the boundaries, as well as with Highways England.

Absolute rubbish.

Tim Hall

Prompted by this thread, I reported a doozy of a pothole on Surrey County Council's website. Pleasingly it was already flagged. For good measure I reported it to Sutton and East Surrey Water, as it seemed to be caused by a leak from on of their valve covers. Even more pleasingly I'm seeing a medium sized cheese from the water company this evening, so will mention it to him too.

mjr

Unless the pot hole is filled with water and then you can't tell its there. One local hole litterally ripped a couple of peoples wheel/suspension apart. They had no idea it was there
If a puddle is so big it could hide a ruinous pothole and you can't avoid it while remaining in lane, why drive through it fast? Slow down. I take no credit for that advice: early on in my driving, I was told off by my instructor for swerving out of lane to avoid the potholes on the left as I drove into my home village.

Absolute rubbish.
Ordinarily, I'd just report the breach of the site rules, but I'm interested: do you think all of what I wrote is rubbish? If so, please, find me any way on https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/roads/report-a-problem to see previous reports.

Actually, while finding the links for Cambs and Lincs, I discovered they've both upgraded their sites so previous reports are now visible to the public - well done to them! - but it's still a farking nuisance to need to know which side of a border you were on and whether a fault is a borough or county responsibility before you even start reporting it.

There’s an app for iOS and Android that I’ve heard is effective:

https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

It’s by Cycling UK. It includes a camera element so you can add an image of the offending pot hole to the report.

Never used it myself yet though so I’m not sure of its effectiveness.
It used to require manual intervention before it sent things to councils and only handled potholes, whereas FixMyStreet (which also accepts photos) handed other types of faults (such as flytips) and was faster. That may have changed.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It used to require manual intervention before it sent things to councils and only handled potholes, whereas FixMyStreet (which also accepts photos) handed other types of faults (such as flytips) and was faster. That may have changed.

I’ll give that a try then as there’s always fly tipping, as well as pot holes, around these parts.

Jody

Stubborn git
If a puddle is so big it could hide a ruinous pothole and you can't avoid it while remaining in lane, why drive through it fast? Slow down. I take no credit for that advice: early on in my driving, I was told off by my instructor for swerving out of lane to avoid the potholes on the left as I drove into my home village

The offending hole and puddle were about 24" wide and they were hit at night. It wasn't the width but the depth that did them.

Nice to think you can steer round these things or slow down but on a rainy and dark night you can't avoid or slow for every puddle in a road.

mjr

Nice to think you can steer round these things or slow down but on a rainy and dark night you can't avoid or slow for every puddle in a road.
Actually, so far I can and have avoided or slowed for every pothole large enough to damage my car, even the ones in puddles. Others choose not to, which is fine, but sometimes they should accept they goofed and it cost them, shouldn't they? When I ripped half the exhaust off a car by attempting to pass over a private road hump too quick years ago, I accepted I goofed and paid up, rather than suggesting you can't exit safely despite all the others doing so successfully.

Potholes should be repaired as soon as the authorities are told, but we can always be the first to encounter a new hole so should drive accordingly.

Top Bottom