Dangerous rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's not half so bad as the crack I've just discovered in the 26" rear wheel of my hack MTB, which I am now keeping a VERY close eye on to see if it gets any worse, with a view to swapping it out. I suppose it depends ultimately on your attitude to risk, and how far and fast you ride the bike it belongs to. Mine is only ridden locally and at relatively low speeds, so I'm not panicking over it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely disagree with the advice above; that's a classic stress riser, the same as when you nick a piece of plastic sheet with a tooth to get it to tear. I'd expect that rim to break at that point quite suddenly.

Not something I would take a chance on other than for gentle around town trips, or the turbo trainer. Rims cost pennies to replace if you do the labour yourself, why risk the injury?

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can easily replace the rim by taping a new one alongside it and transferring the spokes over one by one. It's quite fun to do. You'll need to make a simple dishing gauge out of a length of batten and three screws.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Just keep an eye on it until you get round to changing it. The worst that can happen is the tyre goes pop.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
090307ten_foot_pole.png

Top Bottom