Dare I ask for advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am going to be taking advantage of the Cyclescheme later this year and and narrowing my choice down. The new bike will be used mainly for commuting, with some family outing use thrown in and the faint possibility of looking at some sportive-type events as well.
To my mind an Audax-type machine suits what I think I need as (a) many come with 'guards on already and I definitely want them, (:sad: I don't really want the weight/load-carrying capacity of a tourer but want to put a rear carrier on it, plus all of my lights and other commuting kit and (c) it looks like I can get a nice machine for the budget I have.
I've OK'd it with the family chief financial officer (SWMBO:biggrin:) for a budget of £800 with a small amount of upward float allowed. I was looking at a Ribble Winter/Audax bike but am not too sure as they only have the one premises/outlet and it's a good ways from my house.
Looking elsewhere has led me to look at the Tifosi CK7 in either Classic or Audax trim (seems just the colour changes here?) but stumbled accross the Cinelli Bootleg Racing Rats which looks very tempting. I don't really need the front carrier that comes on the Cinelli but it looks well-specced, apart from needing 'guards. I suspect the only way I'm going to tell is if I have a look at them both and swing a leg over to try them out.
Does anyone have any experience with either bike and can offer a balanced opinion of same please? :sad:

Forgot to add, I'm 6ft 5in tall and 15st 5lb if this makes any difference.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Given your size.....you definitely need to check ride anything first.
And I would not look at anything with radial spoke wheels - or anything less than 32 spoke front / 36 spoke rear.

balzer69

I would suggest the Giant Defy 2 in this price range, which can be had for about £825 or less. It is a versatile bicycle that can be used for commuting, sportives or touring quite easily depending on configuration; as it has eyelets for mudguards and panniers. It also has the superior Tiagra groupset and carbon forks/seatpost, and a more back friendly 'relaxed' geometry, but doesn't come with guards (about £25 extra). I have the older version (SCR 1.5) and am very pleased with it.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/EN-GB/bikes/model/defy.2/4861/38959/

Unfortunately, I have not ridden any of the two you quoted, but the Tifosi does look nice.

Chrisz

Über Member
I wouldn't worry too much about spoke count/pattern - I rode for several years on a set of Shimano rims (16 radial front, 20 rear) with no worries and I was over 16st. They got a fair bashing from me without a problem.

Think I've made my mind up, subject to actually seeing/sitting on one, to go for a Tifosi CX7 with Campag groupset. The only thing I am hoping, due to it being shown in the piccie, is that it is a triple on the front, as I am being a wuss and want the wimp-out fall-back option of the granny ring if I ever end up cycling anywhere with hills and my Fen-atrophied legs can't hack it :evil:
So, a visit to Fat Birds Don't Fly is imminent, and then I will apply for the Cyclescheme vouchers from my benevolent employers :sad:

Been to Fat Birds, chatted to them, ordered a Tifosi CK7 Classic with Campag Comp triple groupset, hopefully be ready in a week, by which time (if I'm lucky) I'll have my Cyclescheme voucher ready to spend.
Have to admit I gulped a bit at the cost, but I truly hope it will be worth it when I get on and ride for the first time :biggrin:;)

Top Bottom