Dark cycle users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
As we all know, it's common to see folk on bikes on the roads after dark who inevitably wear dark clothing and have no lights on said bikes. This is something I'd be too scared to do in case of the inevitable. If as a driver, you had a collision with said cycle user, you can bet your bottom dollar they'd try and blame you for the event.
Or is it just me being too cautious - ?

Tangoup51

They probably wouldn't stick around to be pointing fingers..

theclaud

Openly Marxist
As we all know, it's common to see folk on bikes on the roads after dark who inevitably wear dark clothing and have no lights on said bikes. This is something I'd be too scared to do in case of the inevitable. If as a driver, you had a collision with said cycle user, you can bet your bottom dollar they'd try and blame you for the event.
If you drive into someone with your car, it's your fault, whatever they are wearing. HTH.

gom

Über Member
I didn’t own a car till I was ~30, relying on cycling & public transport before that. Once I got a car I was quite shocked to realise how easy it was to overlook “ninja” cyclists. I was always keen on lights and bright clothing & even more so now. Having seen some near misses as a ninja does an unexpected turn, car drivers can’t be to blame in all cases surely? Not that I don’t think there are too many motorised idiots out there.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thank heavens I don't own a black car any more.

Yeah but I'm now worried about my ninja wheelie bin.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not sure it's cautious but it's too something...

Firstly, I wouldn't ride unlit because I like to see where I'm going and don't like being delayed being stopped by the police and fined but it's not a major factor in collisions - only about 2%. That may be because unlit riders assume they've not been seen and give way more, or because street lights are so bright now that the minimum 4 candela bike lights are basically irrelevant.

Secondly, they can try to blame you whatever you wear, but it doesn't make it right. Wear dark colours and they can say you didn't obey the highway code. Wear green, yellow or orange and they can say you were low contrast against the sun or other lights or concrete/brick/hedge/crop colours. Wear pink and you'll blend into the roses and tulips grown in Norfolk. There's research suggesting that what matters is contrast not colour and the best choice for contrast varies too much to say one should always wear any particular colour.

And then there's the basic problem that once they've hit you, you've pretty much lost already - even if they can't blame you, you're still far more likely to be hurt than them.

And then there's the problem that "be seen" advice is BS. There is nothing you can do to make other people see you - and if there was, you'd only be distracting motorists from other road users and putting them at risk. Generally, we must push back against that victim-blaming and put the emphasis back on the approaching road user to look and only drive so they can stop within what they can see to be clear.

In short, you can't win by pandering to bad motorists and fear of what they may say if they screw up. So I prefer to do what I think best, which is to wear whatever I like and look reasonably normal/human (which usually seems to mean dark colours for me - avoid looking like an invisible gorilla or Somebody Else's Problem Field or a piece of street funiture which invites them to treat me as an obstacle instead of a person) and to spend the money instead on good German-spec lights for night. Frankly, if they can't see a fairly large adult on a rather large bike, or my lights at night, their eyesight problem is not going to be fixed by my clothing, no matter what evidence-free shoot is in the highway code or put out by the failed, bigoted "road safety" lobby.

They also shouldn't be able to prove that my clothing made them hit me, so it shouldn't even reduce damages if I stick to my guns.

So no, I'm not worried and I've had a lot less shoot off motorists since I stopped dressing as an alien space lemon and started dressing as an ordinary human again.

gbb

Legendary Member
If I think back to my commuting days in say the later 1970s, early 80s, lights were pretty cr#p and battery life was awful and I frequently rode with dead or poor or even no lights at all.
If cars were coming...id feel a tad nervous and occasionally continue on a path if there were a lot of cars (there would be no peds obviously ). It never occurrd to me how the drivers felt...i only considered my own position of uncertainty.

You can be sure similar cyclists probably have the same thought process nowadays. Some may not even care.

Nowadays though, the price of lights gives little excuse not to, even cheap LED ones are pretty good .

Observation observation observation. In 30 or 40 years...ive seen thousands of unlit cyclists...maybe not seen much of them, but seen them all the same. Only on one occasion at a R/A as I was going to join heavy flow did I hesitate for some reason...a shadow on the road surface...it was a cyclists shadow, no lights, wearing black,,I came within a heartbeat of hitting him, but that observation, even if it was just the shadow, saved him.

I hope I don' ever become complacent or forget those words.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's not inevitable. Clothing and lights are a factor in less than 5% of serious collisions. I could probably put together a convincing (but probably spurious) argument from those figures proving it's safer to cycle ninja style.
Night time ninjas are far more common than that... however, there's probably more than a few knocked-down ninjas who don't report it to the police and I doubt the motorists who hit them do.

Top Bottom