Dawes Audax Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
You didn't buy that, you stole it!

Fantastic bike for the price, well done.

Thanks, got lucky there! Was tempted to sell but it's a great smooth ride so definitely a keeper now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just to share a little more experience (and kilometres) - all this is 'consumable' chat.
Ardaznailz!
My wheels were rimmed with MA3s too. The rear (eventually ? <10,000km) started (tiny) splitting at the spoke eyelets (spokes were not over tensioned). So keep a sharp eye on the rim just by the drive side spoke nipples.
When I came to re-rim I foolishly thought that the wheels(rims) were both 32s. Sat down to swap the rims across with an Open Pro and only then realised that the front aberrationally was a 36. Why would you sell the bike with 36/32?
If you haven't pulled out the steerer yet, do so and give the headset some tlc. The bearings are caged and my lower one had suffered. I've got loose ones in there now.
Also I expect the BB is a UN-26 cartridge type, which did me over 20,000km without complaining. The left side is plastic and when I tried to remove it I broke some of the spline grooves, and the right side was solid. I had ridden through a flooded Devon minor road (?80cm) for over 100 yards and there was water everywhere (frame, rims, hubs, BB?).
Presented with a bare(ish) frame my LBS had it out in no time. And the subsequent UN-55s have come out no problem (grease one side, manufacturer's threadlock on the other) - metal both sides. Superseded by the UN-300.

Last edited:

iggypop37

Ive just today got one of these myself for .... £95 !!

a (little) bit more wear than the ones shown, but even so very good VFM I thought. Guy who had it was into his bikes, so I dont anticipate any major problems. Id been after a nice light 531 frame for some time. but the prices were daft. I think its Ultegra running gear mainly. (as anxious to get in FAST didn't check through too thoroughly). 27 speed.

It joins the classic holdsworth mystique (77) , the British Eagle MTB (89) , the Dahon 26 inch wheel folding bike !

Ill get some piccies up soonest ...

iggypop37

Ive just today got one of these myself for .... £95 !!

a (little) bit more wear than the ones shown, but even so very good VFM I thought. Guy who had it was into his bikes, so I dont anticipate any major problems. Id been after a nice light 531 frame for some time. but the prices were daft. I think its Ultegra running gear mainly. (as anxious to get in FAST didn't check through too thoroughly). 27 speed.

It joins the classic holdsworth mystique (77) , the British Eagle MTB (89) , the Dahon 26 inch wheel folding bike !

Ill get some piccies up soonest ...

Piccies still to come . Find one or two things that need attention but still a good buy. Eg wrong size seat post, I think the derallieur hanger is slightly out of sync.

First time with 23mm tyres since a triban 3a about 6 years back . Hopefully i can go up to 28mm on these narrow Mavic rims . Plenty of space under the calipers. Oh yeah and it is Tiagra throughout not Ultegra. Still part of the fun of second hand bikes is the finding out the fettling and the improving.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The rims (think they'll be 15mm internal width) will take 28s, provided they are spec width.
Was the seat post not in the seat tube? It'll be 27.2
Was surprised when you said 'Ultegra'. Mine and the others seen have nearly all been Tiagra. Again note FD-4400 was recognised as less robust that other Shimano FDs. I have replaced with successive 105 and Ultegra (triple) FDs, but the Tiagra RD is still going strong.

Last edited:

iggypop37

The rims (think they'll be 15mm internal width) will take 28s, provided they are spec width.
Was the seat post not in the seat tube?
Was surprised when you said 'Ultegra'. Mine and the others seen have nearly all been Tiagra. Again note FD-4400 was recognised as less robust that other Shimano FDs. I have replaced with successive 105 and Ultegra (triple) FDs, but the Tiagra RD is still going strong.
Lol it (seat post) was but had been shimmed with a piece of card . Naughty. Yeah it's Tiagra through out. It might have been dropped hence the hanger problem .
These are all fixable problems though.

iggypop37

well a couple of hours and we are well on the way. bent the hangar to correct using M6 threaded rod, massive washers nuts and a spirit level.

nicked a sadddle and seatpost from another bike on my fleet temporarily.
giro.jpg

the FD seems fine, the back one the spring is a bit reluctant to push the derailleurs across . Ideas anyone ? still for £95 no complaints really

Gunk

Guru
well a couple of hours and we are well on the way. bent the hangar to correct using M6 threaded rod, massive washers nuts and a spirit level.

nicked a sadddle and seatpost from another bike on my fleet temporarily. View attachment 576822

the FD seems fine, the back one the spring is a bit reluctant to push the derailleurs across . Ideas anyone ? still for £95 no complaints really

Start by getting it off the bike, cleaning everything thoroughly and replace inner and outer cables

iggypop37

Start by getting it off the bike, cleaning everything thoroughly and replace inner and outer cables

found the solution - the shifter - of all things - wasn't releasing the smaller handle properly so it couldn't move and get that 'click' which denotes ratchet change. I used my favourite bodger's tool - WD40 - which has freed things up a lot. I suspect that will work for a time but probably need a longer term solution. It is an old bike now.

anyone know where to get a an outer chainring plastic guard- one I have is well past its best.

iggypop37

anther update and some more questions .

1) I had noticed what I thought was a small rust spot by the left-hand chainstay just behind the bottom bracket. Of course with these more modern paint/plastic finishes it has spread underneath a bit. its not deep, just surface . Kurust to neutralise for now while I think of longer term strategy.

2) Replaced the horrid black plastic tape handlebar tape so a bit more comfortable, but I would really like to go up to 32mm gatorhardshells on the MA3s for comfort (I find ride on the harsh side) and durability rather than the 23mm on there now. Ive had similar on the classic holdsworth . Could be difficult with SKS bluemels though ?

3) Agree the brakes are very effective but cant seem to free off the tiny adjustment screw on caliper itself for fine tuning.

4) I think Ill need a shorter stem - my flexibility isnt what it was ! and I prefer a bit more upright position.

5) Agree with @Warny these bikes are keepers - very versatile and quick.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't turn one down at the right money. I've always liked Dawes 531 quality bikes, ever since I was a kid and couldn't afford them at the time! :laugh:
I've got a late 80's Dawes Jaguar, maybe a bit sportier than an Audax, but still not a full-on racing machine. Not as relaxed as my other drop bar bike, a Raleigh Royal tourer. That's no slouch either if you want to get a move on, just does it without any fuss.

D

Deleted member 1258

I wouldn't turn one down at the right money. I've always liked Dawes 531 quality bikes, ever since I was a kid and couldn't afford them at the time! :laugh:
I've got a late 80's Dawes Jaguar, maybe a bit sportier than an Audax, but still not a full-on racing machine. Not as relaxed as my other drop bar bike, a Raleigh Royal tourer. That's no slouch either if you want to get a move on, just does it without any fuss.

My old Dawes from the 1990's, I brought the frame and built a bike up.

Top Bottom