Dawes Audax Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Visited my local car-boot at the weekend and couldn't resist a Dawes, as was in really good condition too. Didn't know much about the Audax bikes, this has a 531 frame so reasonably light. Triple chainring, Shimano Tiagra 4400 stuff so maybe late 1990's? Mavic MA3 wheels and a nice Rolls saddle. It's a bit different to my other bikes with the flightdeck gear shifters and wider handlebars, but it's turning into a keeper:-)

Attachments

• 822.JPG
    822.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 823.JPG
    823.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 824.JPG
    824.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 825.JPG
    825.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 826.JPG
    826.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 827.JPG
    827.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 243

cheys03

Veteran
Superb condition! What did it cost?

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks, I'm pleased with it so far and it's going to cut down on some journey times for sure. 22 inch frame size seems to be ideal for me (I'm 5ft 9) which is a bonus^_^

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
I'm enjoying the rides so far, the mudguards will come in handy for the months to come. It's nice to have a bit more stopping power than my other steel bikes, the Shimano brakes are very good. The yellow and black looks great!

Tebb1t

I remember them on the Audax rides in the mid to late 90s. I bought an Audax Clubman in 2013 when I was out in Slovakia. Used to use it for bimbling and the occasional ride into work.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I too bought one @Warny, same colour-way as @Paulus (illustrious company) to ride end-to-end, solo unsupported. This is 'loaded, ready to go' (and yes the Brooks Competition saddle is a bit 'nose up', and it's missing a rear mudguard).
Since then, together we have ridden about 50,000km and completed that end-to-end, and LEL and PBP, and short tours in Scotland, Wales and France, and still going strong (400k and 600k audaxes last October). Though its replacement is waiting to be built up.
One tip: if the FD is still the FD-4400. They have a higher than 'normal' failure rate (the little 'nib' the spring lodges on breaks off). Replace it.
The only other thing I've 'changed' (as opposed to consumables and freehub) is to get a quill convertor and use an Ahead stem and 31.8mm clamp bars.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I too bought one @Warny, same colour-way as @Paulus (illustrious company) to ride end-to-end, solo unsupported. This is 'loaded, ready to go' (and yes the Brooks Competition saddle is a bit 'nose up', and it's missing a rear mudguard).
Since then, together we have ridden about 50,000km and completed that end-to-end, and LEL and PBP, and short tours in Scotland, Wales and France, and still going strong (400k and 600k audaxes last October). Though its replacement is waiting to be built up.
One tip: if the FD is still the FD-4400. They have a higher than 'normal' failure rate (the little 'nib' the spring lodges on breaks off). Replace it.
The only other thing I've 'changed' (as opposed to consumables and freehub) is to get a quill convertor and use an Ahead stem and 31.8mm clamp bars.

View attachment 572999
They are great bikes, as I mentioned, I have done lots of Audax rides and light touring, also many miles commuting.
My crowning glory on it was a CTC holiday in the South of France, culminating in climbing the Ventoux in 1 hour 50 minutes.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Great stuff, that's a serious number of km on the bike! I've had some regular short trips on mine, still enjoying riding it. Hopefully when everything picks up will get some longer rides in.

Top Bottom