Dawes Discovery 201 versus Ridgeback Comet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the revoshift (twist grip) gear changers on the Comet would put me off. other than that they are much of a muchness. whilst a steel fork can give a nicer ride, the comets one is bog standard cromo steel, so i don't think you'd notice much difference between the two in the real world.

both have a limited gear range, particularly if you live somewhere hilly, but you could in time change either cassette or Chainring to make that slightly lower

Great that you are enjoying your cycling chief.
On a quick look, much as I like ridgebacks, tho steel (I have 5 plus one broken down) I'd go for the Dawes. 8 speed, plus rapidfire shifter, and despite what the review says I'm sure there's nothing wrong with or shameful about that adjustable stem. Also cheaper. Depends if you can get one though - I suspect may be difficult.
If you are anywhere near London (I didn't understand your location) and are a bit on the small to medium size I could be persuaded to sell you a near mint condition steel Ridgeback. Over 20 years old but barely ridden.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Great that you are enjoying your cycling chief.
On a quick look, much as I like ridgebacks, tho steel (I have 5 plus one broken down) I'd go for the Dawes. 8 speed, plus rapidfire shifter, and despite what the review says I'm sure there's nothing wrong with or shameful about that adjustable stem. Also cheaper. Depends if you can get one though - I suspect may be difficult.
If you are anywhere near London (I didn't understand your location) and are a bit on the small to medium size I could be persuaded to sell you a near mint condition steel Ridgeback. Over 20 years old but barely ridden.
Thanks for the offer Blue Hills but i would like a lighter ally bike- i also need a large size as im a 6ft bean pole ^_^
My location is the Scottish Highlands, im on the east coast about 60m north of Inverness near Golspie and Dornoch

Thanks for the offer Blue Hills but i would like a lighter ally bike- i also need a large size as im a 6ft bean pole ^_^
My location is the Scottish Highlands, im on the east coast about 60m north of Inverness near Golspie and Dornoch
on the subject of ally, an ally bike is not likely to be much lighter and in the scheme of things (i get the feeling that you aren't a heather burning cavendish) neither here nor there.
Have fun on your bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
on the subject of ally, an ally bike is not likely to be much lighter
Have fun on your bike.
Indeed a good quality steel bike (the sort you'd only get 2nd hand in this price range, like reynolds 531 or 501 or more modern equivalents) would be similar weight to Alu, but a slightly more comfortable ride. Bog standard Hi tensile steel would be heavier though. There is steel and there is steel.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for the info T4tomo, vickster, Blue Hills, Interesting i assumed that ally would be considerably lighter than steel- I did say im on a learning curve! ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Apparently the Dawes is around 12kg as a benchmark

That isn't heavy at all. My 23 1/2" size Raleigh Royal tourer is 11.6 kg in stripped down summer mode running without either it's rack or mudguards. And that's a frame which is over 80% Reynolds 531 (i.e everything apart from the rear stays).

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies and info guys ^_^ I reckon the Dawes has it, dont think i would like a twist grip shifter on the Comet and as the Dawes has a quill stem and is cheaper they will be receiving my spondoolys. There may be a steel framed competitor i havent considered-which i'll look into but other than that will be buying the Dawes. ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
That isn't heavy at all. My 23 1/2" size Raleigh Royal tourer is 11.6 kg in stripped down summer mode running without either it's rack or mudguards. And that's a frame which is over 80% Reynolds 531 (i.e everything apart from the rear stays).
Did I say it was? :scratch:

Thanks for all the replies and info guys ^_^ I reckon the Dawes has it, dont think i would like a twist grip shifter on the Comet and as the Dawes has a quill stem and is cheaper they will be receiving my spondoolys. There may be a steel framed competitor i havent considered-which i'll look into but other than that will be buying the Dawes. ^_^
I'd move quickly - a certain demand for bikes at the mo - please report back if you get it. Enjoy.

I’m late to this but the Dawes discovery 201 was my first ‘proper’ bike and I LOVED it! Took him touring in Spain and Germany! Rode it all the time! That was 20 years ago admittedly but I adored that bike and would recommend it wholeheartedly!
not trying to put broom off,but wouldn't that have been steel?
I almost bought one of the steel discoveries - went up to 501 as I recall.

Top Bottom