Dawes Double Blue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Honest! I only went in for some loose ball bearings but a week later I went back and bought it.:ohmy:
It was the colour and the head badge that did it! The way it caught the light, a purplish blue with light metallic blue bands and a shiny ornate head badge that drew my attention. :smile: Oooh! That looks interesting! :smile:
A classic road bike! I wandered over to get a better look. I made out the writing on the down tube which was a bit worn. Dawes Double Blue! Sounds nice. Some research online into the model and a lot of thought into how I could fit it into my garage, sweeping aside any negative thoughts about having enough bikes already,
IMGP9574.JPG
IMGP9575.JPG
I decided there was just enough room.
So here it is before I started cleaning it up.

Attachments

• IMGP9578.JPG
    IMGP9578.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMGP9577.JPG
    IMGP9577.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMGP9579.JPG
    IMGP9579.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 114

midlife

Guru
Lovely :smile: the 60's chainrings with a 2 tooth difference always brings a smile lol

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Honest! I only went in for some loose ball bearings but a week later I went back and bought it.:ohmy:
It was the colour and the head badge that did it! The way it caught the light, a purplish blue with light metallic blue bands and a shiny ornate head badge that drew my attention. :smile: Oooh! That looks interesting! :smile:
A classic road bike! I wandered over to get a better look. I made out the writing on the down tube which was a bit worn. Dawes Double Blue! Sounds nice. Some research online into the model and a lot of thought into how I could fit it into my garage, sweeping aside any negative thoughts about having enough bikes already, View attachment 445557 View attachment 445558 I decided there was just enough room.
So here it is before I started cleaning it up.
Well DUH! You move the car out of course! ^_^

I do like that colour scheme! I'm almost jealous but it looks too big for me.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I went for a 2 mile test ride yesterday. Although it rode well I discovered an issue with the gears. I know that I have a cold and achy but I found that the gearing seems high even on the flat . It was when I tried going onto the large chainring that I discovered it wouldn't, and when I went back to the smaller one it overshot and jammed between the crank and frame. My thinking is that either the BB axle is too long or fitted the wrong way round. The front mech when on the limit doesn't clear the big chainring.
The good news is that the ally bits are polishing up nicely.
I think it is a 1963 model according to the number I found on the back of the brakes.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Well DUH! You move the car out of course! ^_^

I do like that colour scheme! I'm almost jealous but it looks too big for me.
Yes ! I'm a sucker for pretty colours and nice shiny bits. It's a shame it didn't have chrome forks. I'm not sure if they have been replaced as they are the wrong colour.
The frame is a 23 1/2 inch.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Every little bit helps

@Illaveago as others have said i can see why you did as well
Very nice indeed just needs a set of large flanges and colour matched guards to finish it off
Enjoy
The wheels must have been changed at sometime as it should have had large flange hubs as standard. I agree it would look nice with some.
I have got one on the rear of my Puch so I'll have to look for a front one.
A pair of short polished ally ones might look nice!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
wow, that is really nice. Can I see a close up of the front chainring, I've not seen that setup before.

wonderdog

The wheels must have been changed at sometime as it should have had large flange hubs as standard. I agree it would look nice with some.
I have got one on the rear of my Puch so I'll have to look for a front one.
A pair of short polished ally ones might look nice!
I have a pair of Normandy Luxe high flange hubs just waiting for a bike like this. Lacing them up to Alesa concave rims at the moment. I suppose I should be looking for something French but I think their quality transcends country of origin sentiments. They are the competition model - streets ahead of the standard Normandy. I also have a later low flange set. Both, properly set up, roll pretty much as well as Suntour Superbe which remain my all-time pick.

Top Bottom