Dawes Galaxy price hike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magna

Hello.

I bought a Dawes Super Galaxy new on a cycle to work scheme for £1000 in April 2008. I checked Dawes website today becuase I would like my friend to get the same bike but the price has been increased by around 50%! Are the new models superior to the old models?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Check out the price of the Ultra Galaxy Ti ;)

I bought a Second hand Ultra Galaxy in feb and the new ones were expensive then when I looked but now you must be joking. I think my next tourer will be a custom built Hewitt.

jay clock

Massive member
I changed from Saracen Skyline (similar to Galaxy) to a Koga Miyata World Traveller and don't regret it. The braking in particular is massively better

yashicamat

I tried both a 2009 Galaxy and a 2009 Surly LHT and it was the latter I much preferred (and bought). The LHT just seemed so steady and smooth whenas the Galaxy seemed to be quite jittery by comparison. My LHT was even smoother and more comfortable when fully loaded, but still handled very sharply and I was slicing up some twisty downhill lanes with great pleasure - something I never imagined possible on a fully loaded bike.

Plax

Guru
Cripes, just checked the RRP price of the 2009 Ultra Galaxy - £1,699!
I bought a 2007 Ultra Galaxy (RRP £1,199), back in May 2008 for £999! I'm glad I bought when I did.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
All Shimano components have gone through the roof. It's the best part of £200 just for Sora or Tiagra shifters now.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
rich p said:
All Shimano components have gone through the roof. It's the best part of £200 just for Sora or Tiagra shifters now.
:biggrin::eek:B)

Last year a Sora groupset was under £150...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Is this the place to mention my humble Galaxy?

£15 second hand at a Uni bike auction 9 years ago....:biggrin:

Probably not in the same league, but on the other hand, if it does what it needs to....

Davidc

Guru
Someone's profiteering. The currency shifts aren't enough to justify the sort of price hikes we've seen on bikes or components.

Provided there's still competition there should be a shake out of prices over time.

Edit: I'd include clothing with that. I just bought some new mitts and gloves and they're up 50% on last year.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Arch said:
Is this the place to mention my humble Galaxy?

£15 second hand at a Uni bike auction 9 years ago....;)

Probably not in the same league, but on the other hand, if it does what it needs to....

Excellent bargain, I got my Ultra Galaxy at the begining of this year, while not as cheap as yours, it is approx 5 years old and I paid £350 so I was pleased.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Davidc said:
Someone's profiteering. The currency shifts aren't enough to justify the sort of price hikes we've seen on bikes or components.

Provided there's still competition there should be a shake out of prices over time.

Edit: I'd include clothing with that. I just bought some new mitts and gloves and they're up 50% on last year.

yes I have my suspicions on this front, strange how we never seem to get price cuts. Cycling, or at least bike purchases, are buoyant and it feels like the market is being gouged.

Davidc

Guru
MacB said:
yes I have my suspicions on this front, strange how we never seem to get price cuts. Cycling, or at least bike purchases, are buoyant and it feels like the market is being gouged.

Funny that - don't know about complete bikes, but I've bought several bits (including lights and pedals) mail (ie web) order from Germany quite a bit cheaper even after carriage than UK prices. Wonder how that works?

Arch

Married to Night Train
phil_hg_uk said:
Excellent bargain, I got my Ultra Galaxy at the begining of this year, while not as cheap as yours, it is approx 5 years old and I paid £350 so I was pleased.

Yes, I benefitted from the fact that everyone else bidding wanted full sus BSO's especially red ones, which were going for £50-60 despite having chains of solid rust.... To be fair, it was my boyfriend who spotted it, and being lilac with drop bars and white bar tap (the bike, not the boyfriend), no one wanted it.

I don't feel I've done it proper justice yet - we stripped it and resprayed it (by hand, with aerosols from Halfords) and I did a tour and some weekends away on it and a bit of day to day use, then I got other bikes and the cheap paint job started to chip off, so we decided to strip it again and then life went tits-up for a bit and the poor thing languished, stripped, for a couple of years. But it's been powder coated now, and I'm hoping to pick the frame up this week, and then it's a matter of rebuilding it (trying out some new handlebars along the way) and getting it (him, really) just perfect and then saving up and buggering off round Europe together. If only the boyfriend was still here to come along....

Top Bottom