Dawes Galaxy price hike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Should be nice when its all been resprayed and put back together, I am thinking of getting mine resprayed over winter as the paint is a bit chipped where the previous owner was not a careful as he could have been and there was some rust when I got it which I have touched up but it would be nice to get it all the same colour ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Id love a Dawes Galaxy, in green, with a honey Brooks saddle and Brooks bar tape.
If i could have an old 3 speed fixed hub then that would be great, or maybe just a low geared fixed, or i could allow it to have gears...........................

Maybe this will be my next bike.

Arch

Married to Night Train
phil_hg_uk said:
Should be nice when its all been resprayed and put back together, I am thinking of getting mine resprayed over winter as the paint is a bit chipped where the previous owner was not a careful as he could have been and there was some rust when I got it which I have touched up but it would be nice to get it all the same colour :tongue:

In its new incarnation it's going to be red, with gold luglining (done by me with a gold pen), a honey Brooks saddle and gold Esge mudguards. Not sure about bar tape, I'm going to try out some moustache bars and see if they suit me, if so, then I'll choose some suitable bar tape, maybe the faux leather sort (can't afford the real!), or something padded in a similar colour to match the saddle. If I don't get on with them, then normal bars with bar ends, or butterfly bars, with grab-on foam.

Turns out I'm not needed at work this afternoon, so I might amble down and see if I can pick it up....

The Galaxy was, once upon a time, far and away the best off-the-peg tourer money could buy. It was right for most people, and as the quality was as good as any of the handbuilt machines it was a bargain.

Now, the attention to detail is no better than anything else off the peg, and it costs the same as a custom steel bike from a master builder. So what's the point in it?

Magna said:
Hello.

I bought a Dawes Super Galaxy new on a cycle to work scheme for £1000 in April 2008. I checked Dawes website today becuase I would like my friend to get the same bike but the price has been increased by around 50%! Are the new models superior to the old models?

Take a look at direct competitors Ridgeback - they're doing some very nice bikes for less money - the Panorama at £1200 for instance. My mate has bought one and its very nice indeed - there are a few online accounts of extensive tours on these. Of course everything will go up (more) in January when VAT goes up (and a lot of stuff never came down ...).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
chris667 said:
The Galaxy was, once upon a time, far and away the best off-the-peg tourer money could buy. It was right for most people, and as the quality was as good as any of the handbuilt machines it was a bargain.

Now, the attention to detail is no better than anything else off the peg, and it costs the same as a custom steel bike from a master builder. So what's the point in it?
Agreed.
It used to be a major commuting Iron too when bikes came in either 3 speed Sit & Begs, proper race bikes and tourers. Now there's soooo much choice and the dear old Galaxy failed to keep pace. Now it's just silly money and there are plenty of alternatives.

bigjim

Legendary Member
If it is just for a shortish city commute why would anybody spend that money. You just need this IMHO which I just picked up in near mint condition for £41. If you are looking for a day/week tour in the UK is a galaxy overkill?
3904770952_cc067cc0c5.jpg

Plax

Guru
bigjim said:
If it is just for a shortish city commute why would anybody spend that money. You just need this IMHO which I just picked up in near mint condition for £41. If you are looking for a day/week tour in the UK is a galaxy overkill?

I'd say overkill but I bought one anyway :eek:.
A fab bike to ride and is adaptable to most scenarios. I've had it lugging all sorts, and with all the accessories stripped off (e.g. rack and mudguards) it's like a racing bike in disguise.
I love my Galaxy and hopefully it will last me for years and years!

There was an article earlier this year predicting this and shortages, exacerbated by record sales.

China alone is causing a shortage in steel and other metals which is driving prices up.

Velorum

I paid £150 for my 1983 Galaxy - the frame could now do with a respray but the remainder of period components are holding up very well and its a damn good ride.

Joe24

bigjim said:
3904770952_cc067cc0c5.jpg

Now i would love a bike like that, or one of the old bike you get in the Netherlands, you know, the ones that had had the crap beaten out of them.
Would be lovely to go to the shops on/work.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joe24 said:
Now i would love a bike like that, or one of the old bike you get in the Netherlands, you know, the ones that had had the crap beaten out of them.
Would be lovely to go to the shops on/work.

There's a shop in Brighton, in a market, called "Amsterdammers" which exclusively sells Dutch 'city' bikes. I imagine they have a fair few secondhand.

Velorum

rich p said:
There's a shop in Brighton, in a market, called "Amsterdammers" which exclusively sells Dutch 'city' bikes. I imagine they have a fair few secondhand.

The guy who runs it - Stefan - is really helpful and an allround good chap.

Hes helped me out a few times.

Joe24

rich p said:

Are they the old beat up ones, or the newer style ones?
Edit: They got a website!
All look abit too not abused for me though

Top Bottom