Dawes Galaxy price hike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
Yes and good luck to them but this Tour & Expedition;)

We tour too. Not together, the editor and I, but in our own ways...

That's when we've got over the serious business of trying to think up snappy headlines for hub reviews.

mike1026 said:
Joe24
You do not need to pay customs duty or V.A.T. if you buy a cycle in Holland and bring it home. See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm
There is a terrific bike shop in Prinshendrikstraat in Hoek van Holland a 20 minute walk from the ferry terminal.

Not quite true. You don't pay VAT in the UK, but the Dutch shop has already slapped 19% of VAT on the price excluding VAT, and will happily (or begrudgingly) pay that on to the Dutch tax man. There's no VAT 'exemption' or anything of the sort, it just goes into Dutch coffers instead of the Rt. Hon. Darling's.

Of course, if the shop sells what you want at a price you're happy with, visit it by all means.

I do wonder whether the Cycle-to-Work schemes encourage UK shops to boost bike prices, because the net amount buyers end up paying remains relatively low anyway. That doesn't hold true of course for bikes over £1,000, like the Galaxy in this case.

bigjim

Legendary Member
A fab bike to ride and is adaptable to most scenarios. I've had it lugging all sorts, and with all the accessories stripped off (e.g. rack and mudguards) it's like a racing bike in disguise.
I love my
When you strip it down to use as a racing bike ish, do you ever consider a spare set of wheels with something like 23" slick tyres? I wonder how it would ride?

PpPete

Legendary Member
bigjim said:
When you strip it down to use as a racing bike ish, do you ever consider a spare set of wheels with something like 23" slick tyres? I wonder how it would ride?

I've not tried my Galaxy with 23mm slicks... but it's usually shod with 25mm Schwalbe Stelvios tyres on Open Pro rims/105 hubs. It's never going to beat a fancy carbon job but it makes for a reasonably quick Audax type machine.

beachcaster

Many of the Dawes components are not from the uk.
The pound is now worth 30-40% less than it used to be .
Exporting will be cheaper. ( not that we have much industry left )..buying in stuff from overseas will get much more expensive.
Im told that nikon just put some camera gear up by 40%
Get used to it
..........and dont forget to thank Gordon Brown

barry

I had a test ride on the Dawes Karakum today and I loved it, the butterfly bars were a different experience really comfortable

soulful dog

Veteran
Arch said:
Is this the place to mention my humble Galaxy?

£15 second hand at a Uni bike auction 9 years ago....:sad:

Probably not in the same league, but on the other hand, if it does what it needs to....
Now that is a bargain. I'll buy it off you for £50 when you're finished working on it ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
soulful dog said:
Now that is a bargain. I'll buy it off you for £50 when you're finished working on it :?:

Well, here he is:

View attachment 4736

Not for sale, at any price!

I've flipped and raised the bars to reduce the reach a bit, and I'm still testing them to see if they suit me. So they have a rather clashing orange temporary bar tape on now. But he looks rather good I think...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Arch said:
Well, here he is:

View attachment 4736

Not for sale, at any price!

I've flipped and raised the bars to reduce the reach a bit, and I'm still testing them to see if they suit me. So they have a rather clashing orange temporary bar tape on now. But he looks rather good I think...

very nice Arch, if you're still not getting the reach right you can get the North Road style bars in various designs. Mine have a lot less forward sweep before they come back, so sides are mainly back of the stem/bar clamp point.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ComedyPilot said:
Was the pic taken on the bridge over the Ouse at Naburn?

It was - a standard Velo Vision photo point...

Cheers MacB - I have various other options in mind, I'll see how I get on with them on tomorrow's ride...

Top Bottom