Dawes hybrid frame on Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

I have been looking for an alloy frame to replace my somewhat heavy steel framed Ridgeback. The idea is to rebuild the new frame with parts (many new that I have fitted) off the Ridgeback. I see this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hybrid-Bike-A...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item414ff79823 and was wondering if it woould do the job. My Ridgeback has a basic 6 speed freewheel and SIS derailleurs. Really the only bit I am concerned about is the chain stay spacing for the back wheel. If I ask the seller to measure the gap what am I looking for?

thanks.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The way to measure OLD is here.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

I have measured the wheel to the outer edges of the locknuts and it is 130mm. I have also heard from the frame vendor on Ebay and the frame spacing is 135mm. Reading Sheldon's warnings against trying to set ally frames, I guess I will have to give it a miss.
Having said that, what would be the effect of a 2.5mm spacer each side of the axle. There are already spacers on the axle and would only take a few minutes on a lathe to turn a couple slightly longer to the correct length/diameter.

GazK

Veteran
chillyuk said:
I have measured the wheel to the outer edges of the locknuts and it is 130mm. I have also heard from the frame vendor on Ebay and the frame spacing is 135mm. Reading Sheldon's warnings against trying to set ally frames, I guess I will have to give it a miss.
Having said that, what would be the effect of a 2.5mm spacer each side of the axle. There are already spacers on the axle and would only take a few minutes on a lathe to turn a couple slightly longer to the correct length/diameter.

I put a 135mm hub into a 130mm ally frame (Raleigh) 3 years ago - i.e. the other way round to your situation, and it replaced another 135mm hub which Raleigh had seen fit to install as stock. I wouldn't let 5mm stop you doing what you want to do. Other views may vary!

Top Bottom