dawes super galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
somebody is selling a dawes galaxy but they describe it as having 26" wheels and 10 gears.
this has immediately made me suspicious as I was not aware any galaxy after 1980 every had 10 gears or 26" wheels.
It may be very old or the guy doesn't know much about bikes, but if it has 26" wheels it has some appeal for touring in africa.
see attached pictures
is it worth 50 pound?
should I stay clear?

pictures at

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33089&p=261961#p261961

OP
OP
S

stephenjubb

Über Member
somebody is selling a dawes galaxy but they describe it as having 26" wheels and 10 gears.
this has immediately made me suspicious as I was not aware any galaxy after 1980 every had 10 gears or 26" wheels.
It may be very old or the guy doesn't know much about bikes, but if it has 26" wheels it has some appeal for touring in africa.
see attached pictures
is it worth 50 pound?
should I stay clear?

pictures at

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33089&p=261961#p261961

andym

Über Member
It's difficult to tell from the pictures. $64,000 question is is the frame OK? Good news is ther's no seatpost that could be rusted in, bad news water could have been getting into the frame via the seat tube.

If the frame is OK then it looks like it might need new wheels and transmission (and of course saddle and seatpost), and the headset and cabling overhauling. If you did the work yourself you could end up with a decent bike for £400, maybe less depending on how much can be salvaged.

If they lived within reasonable distance I'd give it a look. If I had to buy sight unseen I might think it was worth a punt. But ultimately it depends on what you want the bike for, this one might well appeal to someone who likes retro bikes and doing up retro bikes. If you want a 26-inch wheel bike for Africa then it's probably not such a great idea (my personal recommendation would be to buy an On-One Inbred or 456 plus rigid forks and get a wheelbuilder to build you some wheels).

andym

Über Member
It's difficult to tell from the pictures. $64,000 question is is the frame OK? Good news is ther's no seatpost that could be rusted in, bad news water could have been getting into the frame via the seat tube.

If the frame is OK then it looks like it might need new wheels and transmission (and of course saddle and seatpost), and the headset and cabling overhauling. If you did the work yourself you could end up with a decent bike for £400, maybe less depending on how much can be salvaged.

If they lived within reasonable distance I'd give it a look. If I had to buy sight unseen I might think it was worth a punt. But ultimately it depends on what you want the bike for, this one might well appeal to someone who likes retro bikes and doing up retro bikes. If you want a 26-inch wheel bike for Africa then it's probably not such a great idea (my personal recommendation would be to buy an On-One Inbred or 456 plus rigid forks and get a wheelbuilder to build you some wheels).

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The frame looks like it's probably OK. The rest is probably best regarded as so much junk. Whether it's worth £50 depends on whether you can find a use for it. It looks like it's about 23.5" or thereabouts. It will be 27" wheel, 120mm OLN and will probably have horizontal forward facing dropouts. May make a good basis for a fixed gear bike? Replacement brakes would have to be 73mm dual pivots -Alhonga or Tektro.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The frame looks like it's probably OK. The rest is probably best regarded as so much junk. Whether it's worth £50 depends on whether you can find a use for it. It looks like it's about 23.5" or thereabouts. It will be 27" wheel, 120mm OLN and will probably have horizontal forward facing dropouts. May make a good basis for a fixed gear bike? Replacement brakes would have to be 73mm dual pivots -Alhonga or Tektro.

WJHall

Über Member
Market information is a bit difficult, because the market is very thin, but I bought a ladies Raleigh Royale, c 1985 - 1995 (a roughly equivalent type), from a local bike shop about three years ago for GBP 55.00, which has turned out be almost unused, in good working order and became my wife's preferred machine, well worth the GBP 35.00 to change to a triple chainset.

It probably was a bargain, and has never recurred but there is a limit to how much you should pay for an ordinary middle range bike, even in good condition and working order, just because of depreciation and wear and tear, the latter being difficult to judge even if you have the machine for a brief inspection.

This one is plainly not in good condition and not even complete.

WJH

WJHall

Über Member
Market information is a bit difficult, because the market is very thin, but I bought a ladies Raleigh Royale, c 1985 - 1995 (a roughly equivalent type), from a local bike shop about three years ago for GBP 55.00, which has turned out be almost unused, in good working order and became my wife's preferred machine, well worth the GBP 35.00 to change to a triple chainset.

It probably was a bargain, and has never recurred but there is a limit to how much you should pay for an ordinary middle range bike, even in good condition and working order, just because of depreciation and wear and tear, the latter being difficult to judge even if you have the machine for a brief inspection.

WJH

WJHall

Über Member

WJH

PpPete

Legendary Member
Def. worth a £50 punt on the frame (if it's your size)...prob 22-1/2" or 23-1/2".

531 doesn't rust too quickly - and if it has no dings or dents it could form the basis of a good bike. If you get it and frame is damaged in anyway I'd ask for a refund.

But just like the last one you looked at- you'll probably be spending £300 to bring it up to scratch.

Definitely not 26" wheels though.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Def. worth a £50 punt on the frame (if it's your size)...prob 22-1/2" or 23-1/2".

531 doesn't rust too quickly - and if it has no dings or dents it could form the basis of a good bike. If you get it and frame is damaged in anyway I'd ask for a refund.

But just like the last one you looked at- you'll probably be spending £300 to bring it up to scratch.

PpPete

Legendary Member

Top Bottom