Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

another_dave_b

Fab Foodie said:
STOP PRESS!
According to C+, "Dawes goes Ti" in 2009.
Galaxy Ultra and Sportif Ti (A reworked Audax-alike) both for £2999. Lotta cash.

Progress, but is it a leap too far though? From the Sublime to the ridiculous?
The top end of the touring market is going Ti though, isn't it? At some point Dawes would have to follow, or they risk losing market share.

How much? :laugh:
Can't believe they're pricing the Ti framed Galaxy at £2999.
That is just rediculous, you can get pretty much the exact same bike for £1000 less.
Classic case of trying to add value with a badge, but in this case it's failed horribly.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a 20% uplift from Dawes to the retailer as of 1st Jan - and that's down to the decline in the value of the pound.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
LondonCommuter said:
Full prices how at http://www.walkerscycling.co.uk/PDF Files/pricelist_dawes.pdf and there are massive increases on last year

Yup, some bigger prices alright, but isn't that true of most manufacturers this year?
The Ti prices seem outrageously expensive.
There's quite a range there though, something for everybody and a lot that would make good commuting bikes/everyday ride machines.

They need a better marketing dept though, the way the Giro and Galaxy bikes are set-up in the photos just look wrong IMO, saddles too far forward, seatpost could be a tad longer to look more dynamic and the frame size used on their top of the range roadie looks so tiny that the bike looks "Chubby".

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
FWIW I bought a 2007 Galaxy and I love it. I had some initial teething issues which some forummers may recall, but after a lot of miles, many tweaks and a few upgrades I wouldn't part with this bike now. I have the British racing green one.

The bike is a solid load bearer, I was 21 stone when I bought it, and now I weigh 15 at 6'3"...and on top of all that this thing still carries a 20+kilo load no problem. It is pretty nifty as well for a tourer...I have 28 tyres on it and can keep pace with the carbon lycra brigade for the most part.
It is a good all round general workhorse bike I feel. Good for long hauls, touring, commutes etc
I have upgraded the saddle to a brookes, added a front blackburn low rider and a third bottle cage for the meths on tour.
I ended up replacing the stem and the seat clamp which were low grade alloy. I also replaces the supplied schwalbe tyres with marathon +'s. I had a new bottom bracket fitted and new rear cassette...so far this thing has done well over 10,000 miles in all conditions.
I would say however that whenever i have tried to get some 'after sales service' from Dawes either directly or via their dealer here they have been appalling. They seem not to give a sH8t about you once you have bought the bike.
Dont bother with the Daws pannier range either it is garbage compared to carridice etc

Would I buy another one?...probably not as a complete bike, but if th eframes were available on their own I would get one and fit the rest myself.

Chris James

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
I ended up replacing the stem and the seat clamp which were low grade alloy.

I would say however that whenever i have tried to get some 'after sales service' from Dawes either directly or via their dealer here they have been appalling. They seem not to give a sH8t about you once you have bought the bike.

The OP may not recall your posting about this, but in the interests of balance I should point out that it revolved around you stripping the threads on your stem (which you admited was your fault and not a faulty stem). You then contacted Dawes, who you wanted to buy a replacement from, who told you they used standard A head stems and did not supply parts, only whole bikes.

You then got annnoyed as you were only able to buy a black stem from your LBS rather than the silver one the bike originally came with.

On the other hand one of my rims developed a crack some months after I bought the bike and it was replaced under warranty with no argument.

I note the 2009 catalogue no longer has weights in. Dawes, to my knowledge, were the only ones, up 'til now, to put weights in.

The 2009 range looks interesting but I'd still like a triple option on the Giro and Sportif range.

ronmac

I'm new to cycling. I know nothing about bicycles. I picked up a Dawes Chilliwacker in a charity shop recently for £30. I use it as a local runaround, including 30+miles cycles on local cycle routes. I think it's great. Very light and 24 gears which change easily.

Top Bottom