Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
The OP may not recall your posting about this, but in the interests of balance I should point out that it revolved around you stripping the threads on your stem (which you admited was your fault and not a faulty stem). You then contacted Dawes, who you wanted to buy a replacement from, who told you they used standard A head stems and did not supply parts, only whole bikes.

You then got annnoyed as you were only able to buy a black stem from your LBS rather than the silver one the bike originally came with.

On the other hand one of my rims developed a crack some months after I bought the bike and it was replaced under warranty with no argument.

Firstly you are correct, the stem thread was stripped as did the seat clamp, but I didnt tightened them any more than usual and bu usual I mean the same as I had been doing for a year or so. Only one thread gave way when the others screws were just as tight. Secondly yes I was upset that Dawes were unable to repalce the part (I would have paid for it even though the bike probably still had a warrenty). I called dawes directly and was treated shabbily, like I was an inconvenience to them. The dealer was hopeless and was also not best impressed with Dawes servic ehimself. Yes I wanted a replacement part as per the origional the bike was sold to me with, is that such a crime??...Dawes were unable to supply either me (or their dealer) with a simple basic alloy stem of the same type they fit to all their new bikes. I think that is a poor show.

That is not the first time I have had issues with dawes. I bought some panniers in good faith and they were poor quality and the clips did not even fit the rack that was supplied on their own new bike I had just bought. I returned them after much 'toing and froing' with Dawes.
Sorry but I repeat, my experience with their after sales attitude and service has been appalling. Not once did I ever feel like I was a worthwhile customer for them, the impression they gave me was that they couldnt care less about me as a customer, even though I had bought a new bike from their dealer and a set of their pannier 'luggage'. I would have expected better from them.

Chris James

Über Member
I would say it is a pretty good buy at that price. Spa Cycles have them at £460, but uisng your LBS is nicer if anything goes wrong

The drive chain is mostly Sora, which is a bit basic but functional. For commuting I would have thought it ideal, as it already has guards, will take a rack, is pretty much bombproof and should feel reasonably sprightly for the weekend rides.

garrilla

Chris James said:
I would say it is a pretty good buy at that price. Spa Cycles have them at £460, but uisng your LBS is nicer if anything goes wrong

The drive chain is mostly Sora, which is a bit basic but functional. For commuting I would have thought it ideal, as it already has guards, will take a rack, is pretty much bombproof and should feel reasonably sprightly for the weekend rides.

I got it today! Having thouht about it, and looking at the differences between similarish models - especially the price between this 2008 ad 2009 models (£300) I thought Id get it.

Had a quck spin and sure shifts faster than my hybrid, will be fun trying to get used the brakes/gears...

Top Bottom