Day two Of Road cycling: Crash!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's worth comparing your written statement against the template from Vikeonabike - top sticky over in Commuting.
Although I never used mine (because the driver chose to settle privately) it's a useful exercise getting things in a format the Police (and if necessary the CPS) can use directly. If you pursue it through one of the many firms of solicitors that do cycling claims they will want a copy too.... and most importantly an incident number from the Police.

The £1000 lower limit on the personal injury part of the claim will (i think) apply to any solicitor - because below that limit it should be handled by the small claims court - for which the solicitor cannot get paid.

apollo179

Incidentally anyone with gross income below a certain limit may be exempt from paying court fees. I last remember the limit being about £14000pa.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

It's worth comparing your written statement against the template from Vikeonabike - top sticky over in Commuting.
Although I never used mine (because the driver chose to settle privately) it's a useful exercise getting things in a format the Police (and if necessary the CPS) can use directly. If you pursue it through one of the many firms of solicitors that do cycling claims they will want a copy too.... and most importantly an incident number from the Police.

The £1000 lower limit on the personal injury part of the claim will (i think) apply to any solicitor - because below that limit it should be handled by the small claims court - for which the solicitor cannot get paid.

Yea i have had a good look at that thanks.

It has helped me out a good bit.

I will be delivering my statement at 8 to the police. Then i will see where to go from there.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

Well after some great advice from Gaz (thanks alot)

I have given my statement to the police. Without pre writing it i would have forgotten quite a lot!

She did ask me if it was a mountain bike
whistling.gif

I now am awaiting a call tomorrow to smooth out some further details (as i went into the side of him it may be my fault!!) so i need to await what to do for insurance purposes.

I dont really have a clue how much it will cost yet but have emailed across for a general quote.

Thanks for all the input.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Did the officer at the desk say it might be your fault for going into the side of them?
They have very little knowledge of traffic laws and who should do what, so I would just ignore them ;)

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Coming home from work on my new bike, car pulls into cycle lane as normal! as he was about to pull out. he looked left! But not right! Boom im over the bonnet!

New giant bike has a nice buckled wheel and front shifter is really bent!

I have his details and a witness.

Advice please?

Still really shaken! :sad:

Contact CTC if member.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

Yea i don't think i will be able to claim. I am also not a member.

Two pics of damage. I did also manage to nearly fully rip a cleat out on impact!

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 103
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 104

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That shouldn't be too expensive to repair. Just get your lbs to fix it and state it's for an insurance claim as you will need an invoice.

If you need this bicycle for commuting and you are forced to take other means such as public transport, then you can also claim for those costs.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

Yea, i was told if pain persists to get a splint. Otherwise just rest and painkillers. But in the long run there is nothing other i can do but live with the occasional pain i will feel from it.

I did my right wrist while playing rugby a few years back which still gives me pain now. So i assume both wrists will now be the same.

I can say though that the last six months of cycling has strengthened and helped my right wrist.

I just cant wait to get my bike fixed and brave the roads again. My hybrid is ok but its not the same!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yea, i was told if pain persists to get a splint. Otherwise just rest and painkillers. But in the long run there is nothing other i can do but live with the occasional pain i will feel from it.

I did my right wrist while playing rugby a few years back which still gives me pain now. So i assume both wrists will now be the same.

I can say though that the last six months of cycling has strengthened and helped my right wrist.

I just cant wait to get my bike fixed and brave the roads again. My hybrid is ok but its not the same!

I sympathise. I dislocated my wrist back last year and it stills pains me from time to time. My experience of splints are great for sleeping in but not for day to day use.

Top Bottom