Day two Of Road cycling: Crash!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yea i can imagine they are rubbish for day to day. I need to type at work so grin and bare it i think!

I was thinking of contacting these: http://www.cycle-cla...uk/accident.php

Anyone used them..? is it worth it etc?

My understanding is that unless the damage is more than £1000 they will not get involved. The small claims court is the usual route if their insurance will not pay up.

apollo179

Worth noting that a small claims judgement is only as good as the ability to enforce it. In the (all to likely) case that the sued party does not voluntarily pay up you then find yourself in the situation where (if you wish to pursue the matter) you then have to pay extra to the court bailif to enforce payment of the debt. Whether the court bailif can secure payment of the debt is dependant on the circumstances of the sued party - all to often they wriggle out of it - everything in someone elses name etc. That said i am used to dealing with the low life element so a random car offender may be legit and just pay up but it is by no means guaranteed.
Personally imho unless you are dealing with a respectable body that has some sort of reputation to maintain the small claims court is best avoided.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

So earlier on this evening i have found out the driver has no insurance,

I did not take the call so again i have no clue as to where i stand
sad.gif

What a nightmare this is turning out to be!

davefb

Guru

sad.gif

small claims and enforcement ??

or i suppose hope they pay out... they could let you have their car?

how did you find out? I hope you mean because the police are telling you after they've arrested the bas****...

scumbags utter scumbags...

NeilEB

sad.gif

If the driver is not insured, then it's an offence - hopefully the police are aware of this.
Also, I believe the car owner has a responsibilty and could be found liable if they let someone use the car who wasn't insured - either that or the driver is guilty of driving the car without permission, whihc isn't good news for them.

Doesn't do much to help you though I'm afraid....

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That is a real bummer. Things are going to get harder to claim and in the long run it might be better to just write it off and pay for it out of your own pocket (depending on how much it is).

Another reason to call the cops just after it happened, if the driver doesn't have insurance then the police will take the car to an impound lot and the owner has to pay for it to be realised.

kedab

Veteran
Another reason to call the cops just after it happened, if the driver doesn't have insurance then the police will take the car to an impound lot and the owner has to pay for it to be realised.

+1 it will also have the added effect of making the driver realise just how serious the situation is - the fact that you've been lucky enough to 'bounce' and come out relatively unscathed may have the driver thinking that things aren't as bad as they seemed when you did your best starsky & hutch impression - seeing a copper turn up who then starts taking statements and whatnot is always pretty sobering.

gald you're generally ok and you get some sort of recompense :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

Im taking the bike to the shop tomorrow to see how much the damage is going to be.

Might have to beg a cleat bolt from them also ha!

Yea he will have to go to court now which will be nice for him.

I do also hope he has no visa to be in this country. That would be brilliant!

I really dont understand why he came back to give me his details when he obviously knew he didn't have insurance..

fimm

Veteran
Isn't the Motor Insurance Bureau (?) the thing you need if you're unfortunate enough to have an accident involving an uninsured driver?

Top Bottom