Day two Of Road cycling: Crash!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisRicho

Coming home from work on my new bike, car pulls into cycle lane as normal! as he was about to pull out. he looked left! But not right! Boom im over the bonnet!

New giant bike has a nice buckled wheel and front shifter is really bent!

I have his details and a witness.

Advice please?

Still really shaken! :sad:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Report it to the police!
My advice is to ring the police as soon as you are involved in an RTC. Just makes the next few days easier as you don't have to go down to the cop shop and fill out forms.

Keep all your recipts for fixing the damage. Take notes now about how it happene in detail and keep notes about a pain you have from now on.

400bhp

Guru
Gaz knows his stuff. :whistle:

Listen to him + look for a cycling lawyer (through CTC or British Cycling).

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Report it to the police!
My advice is to ring the police as soon as you are involved in an RTC. Just makes the next few days easier as you don't have to go down to the cop shop and fill out forms.

Keep all your recipts for fixing the damage. Take notes now about how it happene in detail and keep notes about a pain you have from now on.

+1

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Gaz knows his stuff. :whistle:

Listen to him + look for a cycling lawyer (through CTC or British Cycling).
Hahaha!

I personally wouldn't bother with a lawyer unless there is a personal injury claim and you will find the Ctc lawyers won't take any cases worth less than £1000 as they can't claim their costs from the otherside and it's not worth while for them, probably the same as bc but I'm not sure.

It is possible to deal with insurance companies your self, it can be hard work but I've always got a payout when I mention small claims court!

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

Thanks Gaz.

So do you think i will claim it back from the driver himself?

I have just written out a statement, i will ring the police now.

I assume i will have to pay for the work out of my own pocket to start with.

I am struggling to feel my left hand but i just dont really have a clue where to go from here..

Thank you again.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

I am going to the doctors in the morning hopefully.

Trying to get through to the police is proving hard work though!

I just missed a police man go past my house on a bike though and missed them!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks Gaz.

So do you think i will claim it back from the driver himself?

I have just written out a statement, i will ring the police now.

I assume i will have to pay for the work out of my own pocket to start with.

I am struggling to feel my left hand but i just dont really have a clue where to go from here..

Thank you again.

Never claim directly from the driver, contact his insurance company. If you don't have that information then you can get that from the police after they have finished their report.

You may have to fill out a form for the police, it is a pain but it is the best thing to do and after that it should be plain sailing.

Pay for everything out of your own pocket and keep all receipts, that is the way i have always done it and i've been fine so far.

You may want to go to the doctors about your hand

Jezston

Über Member
I wonder if we could do with a "what to do in the event of a collision" sticky in this forum. Or is there a bit in the commuting guide? Be useful to get all the facts in one place.

abo

I wonder if we could do with a "what to do in the event of a collision" sticky in this forum. Or is there a bit in the commuting guide? Be useful to get all the facts in one place.

Wonder whether it might be worthwhile doing a checklist to keep in your pannier/toolkit/backpack/etc. so while the adrenaline is pumping you don't forget something. Won't be much use if you're lying there unconscious like :whistle: but it might help someone out. I remember getting something similar to keep in my glovebox a couple of times I got car insurance, and my employer also did similar when I was a company car driver.

OP
OP
ChrisRicho

ChrisRicho

Wonder whether it might be worthwhile doing a checklist to keep in your pannier/toolkit/backpack/etc. so while the adrenaline is pumping you don't forget something. Won't be much use if you're lying there unconscious like :whistle: but it might help someone out. I remember getting something similar to keep in my glovebox a couple of times I got car insurance, and my employer also did similar when I was a company car driver.

When i spoke to the police on the phone they said no matter how small the collision you should always ring them and an ambulance straight away.

She was saying its always best to just leave them to deal with it rather than me missing things out etc.

If it wasn't for the driver mentioning it i would have forgot to even get his telephone number i was that shaken.

So i think a check list wouldn't be such a bad idea. Unless like mentioned strewn out on the floor!
ohmy.gif

Top Bottom