Dead Badgers found whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I enjoy solo rides as there's no pressure to keep blasting along. Out for a shortie yesterday while still suffering a frozen shoulder I had a revealing chat with the cafe owner, stopped to examine a dead badger and stopped again to banter with four E bike riders eating their lunches. Couldn't do that riding with friends.
Funny, last fall I examined a dead badger as well. I was not aware badgers lived in my area. But they do.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I enjoy solo rides as there's no pressure to keep blasting along. Out for a shortie yesterday while still suffering a frozen shoulder I had a revealing chat with the cafe owner, stopped to examine a dead badger and stopped again to banter with four E bike riders eating their lunches. Couldn't do that riding with friends.

Funny, last fall I examined a dead badger as well. I was not aware badgers lived in my area. But they do.

Poor OP this has turned into 'dead badger' chat.

See loads round here, you can often smell em before you see em.

++++++1 for solo cycling, the freedom to go at your own pace, non competitive, stop and chat (or not) to strangers, .
I'm sure group riding has its charms, but the groups round our way are a noisy lot, always shouting to each other. about something or other.

The wildlife (apart from the dead stuff) long gone, before they arrive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Poor OP this has turned into 'dead badger' chat..
Last year or maybe year before I found a DB slap in the middle of a narrow lane at about 6:30-7:00am. Can't have been there long because it wasn't squashed and vehicles couldn't get round it. I stopped, and shoved it to the side of the road with my foot. As I was doing this I had a Poirot moment - it wasn't freshly dead. It was quite horrible and mouldy. It must have been dumped there by a farmer.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Last year or maybe year before I found a DB slap in the middle of a narrow lane at about 6:30-7:00am. Can't have been there long because it wasn't squashed and vehicles couldn't get round it. I stopped, and shoved it to the side of the road with my foot. As I was doing this I had a Poirot moment - it wasn't freshly dead. It was quite horrible and mouldy. It must have been dumped there by a farmer.

Hear this 'clandestine dumping' of badgers on the road by farmers thing quite often.

But think about it, why would we do that, when we have acres of space to do it privately, if we were so minded.

Especially after having'stored' them for a while to go mouldy??
It's most likely been unearthed from the hedge by a fox or another badger, having once been hit by a car, then crawled into hedge to die.

I do have to use electric fences to keep badgets off my crops.. Principally broadbeans and sweetcorn,

But I don't kill them..

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Returning in the dark and rain from a 250km Audax, I came across a badger that had just been hit. Big boar still in his final death throes. It was unpleasant. I’m getting more sensitive with age. Further up the road was a car driven by teenagers who were inspecting the damage. Driving too fast at a guess. Lots of badgers round here.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Dead animals found while cycling might get more responses.

There are some minor roads around my caravan in the Yorkshire Dales which have many squashed carcasses on them.

Rabbits and game birds (reared on a shooting estate nearby) are the most common victims.

Siclo

Veteran

My bold - it's very common.

I used to work at the same Defra site that did the initial trial for the badger culling. One of the jobs that the badger team had was to go out and collect 'roadkill' badgers for post-mortem, I can't remember the exact numbers but far and away the vast majority had either been shot or poisoned and dumped in the road to try and hide the cause of death.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The State of Illinois moved some turkey vultures from Southern Illinois to these parts to clean up the roads. They seem to do a good job, still see the carcass truck, just not so often. Gigantic birds, the turkey vulture. Six foot wingspan. Ugly birds, beautiful flyers. Some live at the insurance company, which I suppose they see as cliff-like. Birds that size probably make short work of a badger.

areyouactuallymoving

Do your bit for science and record the road kill to Project Splatter https://projectsplatter.co.uk/what-does-project-splatter-do/collect/

"We are a team of reseachers based at Cardiff University. With help from the public, we collects data on animals killed by motor vehicles on roads in the UK. We analyse the submitted roadkill observations to determine the impact of roads on UK wildlife and to identify hotspots. We provide regular updates on what we have learned on social media, on our website and in scientific publications."

I am not, I hasten to add, part of the team that works on Project Splatter.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hear this 'clandestine dumping' of badgers on the road by farmers thing quite often.

But think about it, why would we do that, when we have acres of space to do it privately, if we were so minded.

Especially after having'stored' them for a while to go mouldy??
It's most likely been unearthed from the hedge by a fox or another badger, having once been hit by a car, then crawled into hedge to die.

I do have to use electric fences to keep badgets off my crops.. Principally broadbeans and sweetcorn,

But I don't kill them..
This did cross my mind while I was moving it and having my Poirot moment.

Poirot: Regardez, 'Astings. This badger is not freshly dead.
Hastings: But dash it all, Poirot, how did a mouldy dead badger get into the middle of the road? Surely no one would store it until it was ripe, and then dump it here? Why not bury it in a field?
Poirot: Patience, mon ami. Poirot will reveal all ...
Hastings: Look out Poirot, mind where you tread, don't step in ...
Poirot: Zut! Ze leetle grey cells. All over my shoes.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Interesting. My examination of the dead badger told me two things:

1 - It had had its throat torn out - possibly killed by a dog?

2 - It was a very long way up a steep bank beside the road and the side I could see looked undamaged.

So maybe it had been thrown up there from the back of a trailer and not by an impact with a car.

bladderhead

On my commute I passed the same - I think it was a fox - every day for a month. That would have made a great series of images for the roadkill gallery.

I am in Ilford on the NE edge of London. Almost always foxes, occasional cats. Never seen a badger, alive or dead. Seen live hedgehogs but never a dead one.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I will occasionally bring deer back for the family freezer. (Aware of all the precautions before I get a bombardment of lectures.)

The last roe was a beautiful doe with minimal trauma. My oldest saw her on the way to school. I saw it and collected it on the way to my youngest daughter’s school. When my oldest got home she said, ‘I forgot to tell you there was a deer on the road, but when I came back from school it wasn’t there anymore so I didn’t bother.’

She had venison stew for supper that night.

When she worked it out she said, ‘I could have guessed you collected her. You are the only person in the village who feeds their children roadkill.’

Top Bottom