Dead Badgers found whilst cycling

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Gravity Aided, 31 Mar 2019.

1. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

They don't they come to your area to die...

mudsticks likes this.
  2. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I counted seven dead badgers and one dead fox along the A10 while driving to CamCats in Ware on Saturday.

Most roadkill I see is either too dead or too squashed to make it worth taking, although I've snagged the odd pheasant for the cats. We get a lot of dead pheasants around here, they have no road sense whatsoever.

Wouldn't mind to put some of the muntjacs around here into the crock pot, they're a PITA... My poor roses!

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  3. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

There is a Badger sett not far from me. I sometimes ride down a bridle way through the woods at night. You occasionally get three or four badgers bounding down the track in front of you.

4. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Yes same here - although they trundle round our way rather than bound - its the unhurried South West Style i sp'ose :becool:

Gravity Aided likes this.
  5. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Live ones here...

A0B48E47-E549-4562-8ED6-430BDF749AA2.jpeg

Jon George, R25, DCBassman and 4 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided Guru

That's a narrow cycle path. And a cool badger.

7. Tiger10

Tiger10 Well-Known Member

I can't believe this, if i shot a badger i sure as hell wouldn't drag a heavy, potentially tuberculosis infected carcass to my vehicle to make a mess inside and then chuck it in the middle of a road for everyone to see and be picked up. Firstly if i did shoot one it would go in the first hedge and secondly if i was going to remove it then i would sling it in a ditch alongside a road so it was out of view.
    The most likely culprits would be more likely to be sporting shooters who are too gung ho and shoot anything but don't want to annoy the landowners and loose the right to shoot.

It's just one of a few usual farming urban myths . And as for defra when did they ever know there arse from there elbow.

8. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

Tis.
    It’s at the back of the Cambridge Uni sports centre and other Uni facilities (to the left)

To the right is all fields for about a mile. It’s all owned by the Uni and Cambridge colleges.... same old story, there is a massive plan for houses.

I see lots of animals first thing in the morning here. Makes me sad it does.

9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

This is why I don't like the more modern ultra race bike packing bags. With a traditional rack you have somewhere to strap your dead badger without it affecting handling.

10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Looks like Derek

11. clid61

clid61 Über Member

Stayed in a b and b in Somerset years ago in the wilds , our son was 8 . The landlady told us to sit in front room after dark , she put food out under window . A badger and some cubs appeared and fed , it was fantastic. Our son who is now 26 still comments on the experience

12. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

I know I've posted this before on here but, I give you Kentucky Fried Squirrel
    IMG_1584.JPG

13. Siclo

Siclo Über Member

Not sure I'd leave a potentially TB infected carcass rotting in my own hedgerow. Agree about the possibility of sporting shooters.

Never said they did, at the end of the day I was chemist doing a botanist's job but I reckon a vet can figure out if a carcass has a bullet/shot in it the chances are it's not been killed by a motor.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  14. Tiger10

Tiger10 Well-Known Member

Why!!!!! Badgers die normally just like everything else. There was a dead badger in my field last spring and my only concern was did it have tb, didn't even think it may have been shot by a squad of ninja farmers. Are you always so suspicious?? Chill out

15. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

An invaluable guide to roadkill identification is Flattened Fauna

A FIELD GUIDE TO COMMON ANIMALS OF ROADS, STREETS, AND HIGHWAYS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice